5.4 ?????

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Thanks for the re assurance. I will go for it then. Oh yeah no one said how much HP/torque the engine is good for with forged pistons and rods, rest of it stock, for now.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Compression ratio? What would you suggest? What I meant was how much can I boost it without shooting a rod through the block or something like that. Will it be able to handle 500hp, 600torque or around that? I'm trying to plan for down the line so I don't have to do this twice.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always ran around 10.5:1 with 8-10 psi, get good rods and don't look back. Of course there are fifty people who never did it that will tell you that's too high to boost.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
You'll get the best results with moderate boost and stock or near stock compression. I'd shoot for 12-14psi and 9.5:1 compression. Buy new tires now... you'll need them soon enough.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
What pistons do I buy to keep the compression the stock, it looks like 16cc? I'm new to the engine building so you all will have to help me out. Is there any other weak points in this engine that I should address while doing the build? I've heard something about the plugs simulating a missile launch :2funny: But I know how to fix that. I was looking at that group buy you were talking about on mustang forums r3dn3ck and I was wondering how much it was for rods and pistons if I waited for the group buy?

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
grab your rods and slugs from TMD on ebay. I get all my engine parts from them. SUPER cheap prices, great guys. I won't be doing another GP for rotating parts. I am working one on the HPS intake but nothing is fixed yet.

For slugs... depends on the piston. I'd bet you'll end up with ~11cc dished slugs for about 9.5-9.8:1 with a .020 overbore on MLS head gaskets and a stock PI head. I wouldn't bother with much bigger dish sizes and 14cc. That'd put you at around 9.2:1.

If you have 4 thread spark plug holes, then time-sert them. Always use anti-seize on the plugs and tq them with a in/lbs tq wrench as spec'd in the manual. You should have a really hard time spitting a plug out if you don't start by fucking up the threads in the head to start with.

95blackgt54

Reaction score
When over educated people change sparkplugs in the earlier heads, they would armstrong tighten and that would cause the threads to pull out.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
So as long we torque the plugs we shouldn't have a missile launch. I got it :thumb:

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
tq them properly and use anti-seize. That's all you gotta do.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
r3dn3ck said:
tq them properly and use anti-seize. That's all you gotta do.

yea but like a real small amount of anti sieze.

Ive heard finger tighten and then a 1/4 turn

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lol, i've never used a torque wrench on spark plugs in my life. I do use common sense, but some people...

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Maybe some people have some really strong fingers :tickedoff: I've heard of a few plug launches from factory though, thats why I was sorta wondering what the deal was. Not that the factory does anything to spec.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
W00t... yeah event was rain or shine and it did both... just one more than the other. The track was soaked and had standing water all over the place the whole day. There were tons of vettes, miatas and S2000's and the obligatory Datsun 510's running amok but the Mustangs present didn't disappoint anyone and were competitive with the rest of the field.

My car... Got stuck in the OSP class which is for pretty heavily modded cars (like mine). Only 1 other car was in OSP though and it came in on a trailer wearing Hoosiers so I'm pretty stoked that I was at least competitive. This was the first sanctioned outing for the beast in its current configuration.

autox-1-resized.jpg

I'm still waiting for on-track pics of my run... I was busy driving, couldn't be bothered to snap any other pics.

Posted a thread about it in the racing section but thought you'z guys might like a pic here.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Thats awesome. Do you have any pics of the engine bay? I'm really looking forward to building my engine but I haven't found a cheap donor engine for the build up yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online