6 piston Brembo brake setup

LilRoush

Reaction score
I'm with the "Why bother?" crew on this one. I have yet to see a street driven Mustang that a proper $1000 13" set up can't stop equally if not better than the 'bling bling' of the large diameter rotors and flashy 6 pot calipers. The extra mass on the nose, the extra cost of replacement pads and rotors and the pain of design/install/testing doesn't offset anything. Like posted, if you can trigger ABS or lock them up, the issues are in your suspension and tires, not brakes. I'm curious as to your end cost and a before/after stopping distance gain.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may run a before and after test just to see what I get. I feel like the benefit will be more in the long term effects from heat over multiple laps.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what are your plans for the rear setup? c-clip axles make opposed piston calipers unusable (pedal feel will go limp when turning since the axle will push the caliper piston in...

learn something new every day.

MadStang

Reaction score
I may run a before and after test just to see what I get. I feel like the benefit will be more in the long term effects from heat over multiple laps.

If you're really looking for a setup that will dissipate heat and do it cheaply. look into the Cobra R braking setup. it can be had for less than $1k used or if you're lucky you can find the European Focus brakes (same as cobra R just painted silver). The Cobra R weighs 3600lbs without driver and is capable of stopping in 115ft. That's more than enough brakes for what you're doing and what your car is capable of. The 4-piston setup of the Cobra R is more efficient, dissipates heat incredibly, and overall is better than the standard cobra set up, not to mention you don't have to mess with the proportion of braking power.

RichV

Reaction score
When I went from 11" to 13" on my race car, I did a lot of research and decided to go with the revolution brake kit (or similar) for a couple of reasons. #1 that I can get a replacement Wilwood caliper for the front for $150 from Summit/Jegs. #2 brake pad cost is SIGNIFICANTLY less than any OEM caliper (including the Cobra R Brembo) and the pads last twice as long. Having the 13" Wilwood setup payed for itself the 1st season in brake costs.

The 2000 Cobra R setup was an option as well, however the pad costs were more, and if I shelled a caliper, I could not find a source to purchase one caliper, if needed. New cost was a little stout, but you can find the R hardware for about $1000 if you look long and hard.

JeremyAlan, take your Cobra to a road course before you try and prep it. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how well that Cobra setup actually works. It will take at least 10 times to the track before you really start learning how to drive and push that car to its limits. Then you will know better where to concentrate your efforts. Make sure your cooling system is 100%, get some performance pads at all 4 corners, ultra grip summer tires, drain/fill all brake fluid, and go have some fun.

LilRoush

Reaction score
If you are looking for the Cobra R set up, aside from what Brett mentioned about it being the Euro Focus caliper, Roush also used them on some of the 96-98 Stage 2+ (some called Stage 3, but weren't really) cars as an upgrade.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
RichV - I plan to do just that. I purchased one caliper and had the idea a year ago, just got the other caliper and rotors. I plan on beating the crap out of the stock brakes this summer because Snetterton Raceway is about 30 minutes from my house. I actually just got home from doing a track day with a friends RX-7 and I learned quite a lot.

I think the best thing that has come of this thread is all the knowledge you guys have is in one place. Maybe we should do a sticky with suggestions for which direction to take when upgrading your braking system? (ie- pads first, then Cobra R setup, etc).

I appreciate all of the feedback on the subject.

95opal

Reaction score
That's cool. Heat management is important, but also think of how much weight you are adding with the larger rotors. I have the actual weight difference between 11" and 13" OE style rotors and the #s are pretty staggering. To add another 1" or 2" of mass I'd probably not do it just for that. The 11" setup does the job well on-track with proper cooling ducts for a 3000lb car. Also remember the tires stop the car, not brakes.

IMO two places to never experiment or try and cut corners would be brakes and safety equipment. Because if those fail, people can die.

The weight difference in a one piece oe rotor is up there but when you get into a two piece rotor your cutting down on weight, just something to think about

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
95opal - One day I might switch to a lightweight rotor setup on all 4 corners. I just went with the OE single piece style for now.

RichV

Reaction score
The weight difference in a one piece oe rotor is up there but when you get into a two piece rotor your cutting down on weight, just something to think about

I hear ya, but the cost of 2 piece is not very appealing.

95opal

Reaction score
I hear ya, but the cost of 2 piece is not very appealing.

Price for good $hit is never appealing but the weight savings and heat dissipation advantages out weigh the price difference.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are your plans for the rear setup? c-clip axles make opposed piston calipers unusable (pedal feel will go limp when turning since the axle will push the caliper piston in...

I just remembered: IRS isn't a C-clip design, right? That would only affect SRA owners. I may be completely wrong, but I don't remember having to pop the diff open to get my half-shafts out.

95opal

Reaction score
I just remembered: IRS isn't a C-clip design, right? That would only affect SRA owners. I may be completely wrong, but I don't remember having to pop the diff open to get my half-shafts out.

Correct... Dan (95riosnake) just upgraded his fronts with the same 6 piston wilwoods Im running, he also has an IRS and is going 4 piston wilwoods out back. So you are all set

410sn95

Reaction score
Price for good $hit is never appealing but the weight savings and heat dissipation advantages out weigh the price difference.

Intial cost is high with 2 piece rotors but replacement rotor rings are not bad at all cost wise when compared to quality one piece rotors.

95opal

Reaction score
Intial cost is high with 2 piece rotors but replacement rotor rings are not bad at all cost wise when compared to quality one piece rotors.

Another good point... Havent had to buy new rings yet but I have looked at the prices.

MadStang

Reaction score

correct! didn't see your car since I was on my phone, 99-04 cobras do not have to worry about the c-clip problem.

RichV

Reaction score

Which ones are you buying?

Research I have done on this tells me even the rings are extremely pricey. The one piece can be had at any part store, which is a good thing if you need one on the fly.

I'm all for quality stuff, but $300+ per rotor!?!? That's more expensive than the caliper in some cases, and you save only about 2lbs per corner (on the 13"). Funny thing is, if you go over to the oval track racer parts, 2 piece rotors are DIRT cheap. In the tune of $100-200 per SET.

410sn95

Reaction score
Which ones are you buying?

Research I have done on this tells me even the rings are extremely pricey. The one piece can be had at any part store, which is a good thing if you need one on the fly.

I'm all for quality stuff, but $300+ per rotor!?!? That's more expensive than the caliper in some cases, and you save only about 2lbs per corner (on the 13"). Funny thing is, if you go over to the oval track racer parts, 2 piece rotors are DIRT cheap. In the tune of $100-200 per SET.

Currrently have Baer Eradispeeds, 13in rings I can pick up for around $160 each.

Some two-piece setups use Coleman rings. I have not taken the measurments to see if the Eradispeed hat accepts a Coleman ring, I am to lazy and dont drive the car enough to check.

If I need a rotor on the fly I can use a 1 piece Cobra rotor, not a problem.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Driver side arrived today. Here is a few pics to convey the size. Monster can for reference lol

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online