94 GT starter engages but won’t spin motor.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
take a video of it cranking I want to hear how fast its turning.
Doesn’t turn at all, starter just engages and whines if you hold the button. No smoke, starter doesn’t heat up at all.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok starter is turning but not the motor just like the title says. are you sure its the right starter? Are you sure its the right flywheel?

Chip66

Reaction score
I have 1/0 gauge, nothing gets hot while cranking, no wires smoking. Starter will click after holding it the button for a while. The compression is no more than 10.5.1. I will check the voltage next, thanks.
It's sounding like a dud starter. You should see some voltage drop between the battery and the starter. If you have no drop, the starter either has open coils or the solenoid is not making a connection. There should be no measurable voltage drop across the large lugs on the solenoid when the starter is engaged.

The starter should get warm if it is flowing the amps it should be. If it never even warms when holding the starter for a period of time, there's an opening in the circuit somewhere.

If you are finding the solenoid is not closing the circuit, it could be it is not able to fully engage the gear or simply is faulty.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Warrior said
I’ve been burned too many times by over complicating the situation lol. Had an old man at work teach me to start from the very basic, go in to every job and test it like you don’t know anything about the condition. When you “know” something is good, you start skipping steps.

Yep, when we 'know' and start ASSuming, that's when it can get costly, confusing and exasperating. Go into that good task with the mindset of Hans Schultz: I know nothing, nothing, NOTHING!

Isn't it amazing how much wisdom we can garner if we take time to listen to our patriarchs?
I just hope there's someone left willing to listen when I'm an old geezer. :p

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you dropped the starter verified it's spinning,. And the Bendix is moving and make sure it's not free spinning on the motor shaft

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sent my PA Performance starter back. Probably was fine for a stock motor, but my motor is recently stroked, too (347). Went with a stock Motorcraft starter… works great!

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
Sent my PA Performance starter back. Probably was fine for a stock motor, but my motor is recently stroked, too (347). Went with a stock Motorcraft starter… works great!
My motor is also stroked, 427. PA claims the starter is made for high performance strokers. That’s a good one too. Would be crazy to put a Autozone starter on and it starts up, lol.

OP
OP
chrisp427

chrisp427

Reaction score
It's sounding like a dud starter. You should see some voltage drop between the battery and the starter. If you have no drop, the starter either has open coils or the solenoid is not making a connection. There should be no measurable voltage drop across the large lugs on the solenoid when the starter is engaged.

The starter should get warm if it is flowing the amps it should be. If it never even warms when holding the starter for a period of time, there's an opening in the circuit somewhere.

If you are finding the solenoid is not closing the circuit, it could be it is not able to fully engage the gear or simply is faulty.
That’s what I was thinking too, the starter should get warm at least. I’m going to run a ground from the starter to the body and one from the motor to the battery see and what happens.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just thump the belhousing a little harder if you can reach the starter. I am not sure you can call yourself a mechanic till you repair a starter with a mallet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online