95 Cobra Turn signal blowing fuses

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
That is what I am thinking I have tried all sorts of different things to get it to happen. Honestly at this point seems easier just to say screw it and never use turn signals.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well that is a little complicated I started the engine swap trans and turbo install. Then a friend of a friend who had a small shop said he would finish it for me all that was really left we final fitment and Holley installation. He then ditched the project mid way through and told me to pick it up or he would call the cops and have it towed. So then I took it to a real shop and they finished the work.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well good update had quite a bit of time to work on the car got the front passenger turn signal good and working multifunction switch got delayed so I am hoping to put that in tomorrow on the other note I still have my short. Today I checked all pig tail connections front and back and wiring around the found a couple places that could cause a short and removed them still blew my fuse. So if anyone has any ideas on common areas for shorting I appreciate it. Hazards and turn signals all work now but fuse still blows completely random only thing I do know is it doesn't blow when the car isn't moving only while driving. I have tried pressing clutch, gas and brakes that doesn't do it also turning the wheel shifting gears and putting it in reverse also tried pulling the parking brake. At this point I am out of ideas as stated so far I have swapped all relays relative to turn signal and hazards checked around the brake on off switch and wires running by clutch quadrant and wiring connection at front and back housing as well as bulbs and tomorrow I will swap multifunction switch.IMG_7541.JPGIMG_7542.JPGIMG_7543.JPG

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
It wouldn’t blow the fuse if the wiring harness is missing. Maybe it’s cut somewhere grounding out.
the fuse blowing is a separate issue that has always happened for over 2 years when the car was swapped to holly I pulled the engine harness thinking I didn't need it and come to find out the same harness supplies turn signal power to only that one build odd Design by Ford.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will not be surprised if it is the multifunction switch. When mine went out I could not help but be curious enough to see if I opened it up if I could fix it and I was surprised how many moving parts there are in that switch. A broken clip inside could make it short out like you describe.

Lets hope that it is that otherwise the only other option is to either trace the wire from start-finish, or run another

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well I hope it’s the multifunction honestly if it’s not I may just go back to no turn signals like I’ve always had. Cause running new wire/ tracing it would be a mess.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
running new wire would be the lesser of the two evils IMO. I was working on a buddies A8 audi the other day and after 10 mins trying to find a back up wire for his reverse camera I realized I could have ran a wire already, and then did.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad just annoying since you have to run at least 7 wires 4 turn signals and 3 break lights all 4 corners of the car and I could do all of that and the issue be pre existing to the relay.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
since you say it happens while driving you might be able to isolate it a little more with technical taps. Start the car, turn on the turn signal and make a lap around your car and give it a slap with your open palm as you go around it. Don't do it enough to hurt your hand or the car but enough to give the car a thump. Be sure to do the lights themselves, the bumpers, and anywhere in between and see if one of those thumps causes the fuse to blow

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well another update still to no avail with the new multifunction switch in the fuse still pops.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was serious about the technical taps and I would probably go there next. Also don't be afraid to get a little rough with the wire harnesses that go to those areas while the signals are on to see if it blows when you mess with a certain area.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Yea I’ve got a couple mechanical things to swap over the weekend hoping to try the tapping and tugging method see if it narrows it down at all.

JIMRSX

Reaction score
I had the exact, I mean exact problem with turn signal fuses blowing on my 94 Cobra. Turned out a wire harness and wire has rubbed through and was shorting to bare steel. Directly above clutch pedal. Once you see that harness, just wiggle it a little so it is not touching bracket. Wrap wire and harness with electrical tape

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
I had the exact, I mean exact problem with turn signal fuses blowing on my 94 Cobra. Turned out a wire harness and wire has rubbed through and was shorting to bare steel. Directly above clutch pedal. Once you see that harness, just wiggle it a little so it is not touching bracket. Wrap wire and harness with electrical tape
I will give this a shot I have messed with the exact same harness but when I wrapped it didn’t do a very good job. So I’ll have to mess with it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
don't just tape it up with out first taking it apart and inspecting it as much as possible. If its two wires shorting out you might just make it worse and the assume that it can't be that harness later because you have already been there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.