95 gt overheating

armyed

Reaction score
Just wanting to know anything I may be missing since my car has been running to hot. without ac running driving around the car runs around the M and A on the normal part of the temp gauge and when the ac is on it will go past the L and almost boil. I have run water through the motor and the radiator, put a 180 thermostat, replaced the waterpump with a ford racing aluminum piece, checked the timing and put it at 13-14 degrees and fixed the connector switch that connects to the fan since one of the connectors was melted. The fan kicks on when the temp gets between the M and the A on the temp gauge and the higher spped kicks on when its even hotter which to me seems a little to late. Do I need to replace the temp sensor that tells the fan when to kick on? Im thinking that next time im home(in 3 months) I need to get a fluidyne aluminum radiator but if anyone could give me an idea of how to check if the radiator is bad cause it seems to flow water from what I can tell and the thermostat is brand new and works. Any help would be great

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
replace the sending unit to the fan or put it on a toggle. if that doesn't work change the thermostat again. i changed mine 3 times before I decided not to run one. A stock radiator works fine unless you just want to spend the money to upgrade, a cooler car is always nice.

ryclef331

Reaction score
First and foremost....stop going by the stock gauge. Its crap. Tells you nothing. Get an aftermarket one so you can say "Its temping 180 degrees" and not "between the R and the M". Your stock radiator is FINE. The fans sound like they're working just fine as well. You might just have to burp the system.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
armyed said:
how do i burp the system?
Start and run the car with the cap off. It will only take a few seconds for the water level to raise. Shut it down and let the car cool. Fill to the top again and repeat until the level stays the same when the engine cools. Be sure to keep enough coolant in the water overflow bottle.

Your problems arise from the crappy factory tune with our cars. They have the fan preset to come on "normal speed" at 195* and on "high speed" at 210*!!! Unlike the Fox cars it's needless to say we are running hot. The factory Radiator is thin as paper with one core. It is similar to the 6-cyl one!
Since I've been there, here's my recommendations:
A) Change the Radiator with a good AL. 3 core unit. I have a Griffin unit and it slid right in. Easy set up.
B) Since you swapped out a higher flowing pump, run some waterwetter. Yes, it works.
C) REPLACE THE 180* T-STAT with the stock 192*!! Trust me the 180 unit is not a good idea. Think Thermodynamics and heat transfer here. I can explain if you want me to...

D) Install a manual toggle on the fan and install a new gauge. It's true the gauges suck and are barely accurate.

Your car will stay in "O-R-M" range with the A/C on in traffic during the Summer! :thumb:

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
awesome thanks bro I will try all that and let yea know how it goes. I head back to Iraq in 5 days so the radiator will be 3 months after I leave when im back home again. But ill do the other things you said and see what I come up with...thanks again

94Vert

Reaction score
i would say your fan is def. coming on to late. mine comes on at the "o". and never goes past "r"

ryclef331

Reaction score
The radiator I'd say is optional. With the car tuned to have the high speed fan come on at 180....I see 185 in traffic at idle with my 331...

NYC94GT

Reaction score
armyed said:
awesome thanks bro I will try all that and let yea know how it goes. I head back to Iraq in 5 days so the radiator will be 3 months after I leave when im back home again. But ill do the other things you said and see what I come up with...thanks again
Best of luck man! Go kick some Terrorist ASS! :hammer: O0 :comando:

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
Thanks everyone...now how do I go about changing when the fan comes on? Do I just change out the sending unit on the lower Intake(Maybe I could find at a parts store or where?) or is this something that has to be programed into the computer?

NYC94GT

Reaction score
armyed said:
Thanks everyone...now how do I go about changing when the fan comes on? Do I just change out the sending unit on the lower Intake(Maybe I could find at a parts store or where?) or is this something that has to be programed into the computer?
You can't change when the fan comes on since it is preset in the computer. You either wire in a toggle switch to manually control the fan, or get a chip to do it.

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
ok so I have to go get a performance chip and put that in and then I can change when the fan comes on. I dont like having to maually turn the fan on when it starts getting hot so I guess the ship has to be the way. So once I get a chip do I have to get a tuner like the predator or something in order to change all that or do I need to take it to a shop?

NYC94GT

Reaction score
armyed said:
ok so I have to go get a performance chip and put that in and then I can change when the fan comes on. I dont like having to maually turn the fan on when it starts getting hot so I guess the ship has to be the way. So once I get a chip do I have to get a tuner like the predator or something in order to change all that or do I need to take it to a shop?
To be quite honest, mail-order chips are a waste to $$. If you are going for one, get it dyno-tuned. Or, buy the tuner handheld unit so you can change fan settings. Otherwise, add the toggle switch so you can manually run the fan.

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
NYC94GT said:
armyed said:
To be quite honest, mail-order chips are a waste to $$. If you are going for one, get it dyno-tuned. Or, buy the tuner handheld unit so you can change fan settings. Otherwise, add the toggle switch so you can manually run the fan.

SO I can buy a handheld tuner like a predater and I can change the fan settings through the stock computer? Or would I have to buy an aftermarket chip and a tuner to be able to change all that. How are the diablo sport chips? Thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
There is not a hand held programmer available for our cars to my knowledge.

As for chipping the ECU, you do not buy the chip yourself and take it to any random tuner. The tuner will HAVE them chips on hand for you and you go to THEM for the chip AND tune. It is burnt on the spot for YOUR car. Tell the tuner what temp you'd like the fan turned ON and while you're at it, have him turn OFF the EGR function on the ECU.

FASTANG

Reaction score
I have the stock gauges and too can speak for the ability - or lack there of. Last summer,
I took the radiator out and brough it to the local car wash and sprayed the crap out of the fins.
It did not help the problem I was having, but it got the crap out so I knew that was not the
problem and cost me nothing but my time. During my tune (heads/cam and converter swap over
the winter), I had them check the water temp since with the a/c on. My factory gauge is between
the M and the A, which the EEC says is actually 190.

In other words, try a few free things before spending a lot of money for something that is not
really a problem, just the lack of true information. Good luck.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
the temp sensor to your computer controls the fan (not sending unit for gage) I would change it because it get gunk on it causing it to turn the fans on late. they're like $20 at napa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.