96 4v to 98gt swap (Just finished photos)

Blind

Reaction score
it's only a PATS problem if the theft light is blinking rapidly, if it isn't, than your problem isn't related.

I think it's something else, as it actually fires, but I am not positive.

Blind

Reaction score
my mother in law drives a 1996 mustang gt convertible, and when the chip in her primary key took a dump, the car would crank and crank and crank and flash the theft light, but never fire.

using her other key, car started right up.

FWIW, I have no idea the specifics. But I know that when I helped a friend fix a fire damaged `01 mustang, we used the engine harness, computer, ignition cylinder, and PATS ring from a 2000 mustang that I parted out, and it fired right up the first time.

OP
OP

98zzzz

Reaction score
Got this on another forum-
"Let's recap. The theft light blinks during cranking. It starts and runs for a few seconds but then shuts off.

For the 99-04 MY PATS disables fuel and spark. The symptom is crank with no start.

The 96-98 MY is either a no crank or starts but shuts off after a few seconds. That EXACTLY matches your symptom.

The 96-98 MY does not require PCM/cluster re-programming when either part is replaced (99-04 MY does)."

everything is kosher with the swap. What would you suggest looking into besides the PATS?

Blind

Reaction score
as it runs and dies, I'd scan it for codes, specifically I'd look for somebody with a snap-on modis or the like, that can run tests while the engine is running, it may help shed some light on what's getting kicked off to kill it. I think it may be fuel pump driver related, as the 98's have a bit of a different setup than the 96's.

have you thought about trying the GT harness/computer/key cylinder/pats ring?

OP
OP

98zzzz

Reaction score
Blind said:
as it runs and dies, I'd scan it for codes, specifically I'd look for somebody with a snap-on modis or the like, that can run tests while the engine is running, it may help shed some light on what's getting kicked off to kill it. I think it may be fuel pump driver related, as the 98's have a bit of a different setup than the 96's.

have you thought about trying the GT harness/computer/key cylinder/pats ring?
Will report back on this, thanks. I only have auto stuff from the gt... I dont think thatll work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjac

Members online