96-98 Cobra bolt-on RWHP

avitar290

Reaction score
Ok, I have done much reading on RWHP numbers and here is what I discovered. 96/97 Cobra's, stock, make anywhere from 230ish to 250ish RWHP, and 98's make 240ish to 260ish. My question is this: With all the standard bolt-on's + custom tune, what kind of power are we looking at to the wheels.

Standard bolt-on's include:

Long Tube Headers
O/R X or H pipe
Cat back exhaust
Underdrive Pullies
Cold Air Intake

There are other bolt-on's, but a pro 5.0 shifter doesn't add HP and things like cams, heads and porting are what I consider "the next level".

So with a standard setup like this and a professionally done dyno tune, what are we looking at RWHP wise.

PS - I don't know really if it affects this, but one item I left off the list was rear end gear.

Thanks for all input on this subject!

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
With those mods and a tune I don't think 300+rwhp would be a problem.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
avitar290 said:
Ok, I have done much reading on RWHP numbers and here is what I discovered. 96/97 Cobra's, stock, make anywhere from 230ish to 250ish RWHP, and 98's make 240ish to 260ish. My question is this: With all the standard bolt-on's + custom tune, what kind of power are we looking at to the wheels.

Long Tube Headers
O/R X or H pipe
Cat back exhaust
Underdrive Pullies
Cold Air Intake

There are other bolt-on's, but a pro 5.0 shifter doesn't add HP and things like cams, heads and porting are what I consider "the next level".

So with a standard setup like this and a professionally done dyno tune, what are we looking at RWHP wise.

PS - I don't know really if it affects this, but one item I left off the list was rear end gear.

Ok first off I dont know where you seen a Cobra only make 230rwhp :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I have NEVER seen one that low. The 96 and 97's seem to float around the 250 mark and the 98 did about 10 or 15 more than that. Like I said I have NEVER seen anywhere a 4 Valve Cobra only do 230rwhp.....

Anyway with those mods AND a dyno tune you should be able to nip the 300rwhp mark.........the same mods on a 99/01 Cobra would get into the 320rwhp area

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lightning Struck said:
avitar290 said:

Long Tube Headers
O/R X or H pipe
Cat back exhaust
Underdrive Pullies
Cold Air Intake

Ok first off I dont know where you seen a Cobra only make 230rwhp :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I have NEVER seen one that low. The 96 and 97's seem to float around the 250 mark and the 98 did about 10 or 15 more than that. Like I said I have NEVER seen anywhere a 4 Valve Cobra only do 230rwhp.....

Anyway with those mods AND a dyno tune you should be able to nip the 300rwhp mark.........the same mods on a 99/01 Cobra would get into the 320rwhp area

Brian, before my tune mine was 238rwhp and 230rwt, after tune 258rwhp, 250rwt. Mine is as stock as you can get. My tuner told me, long tubes, full exhaust, cold air intake, and IRMC deletes will put you at about 305-310rwhp.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Lightning Struck said:
avitar290 said:

Long Tube Headers
O/R X or H pipe
Cat back exhaust
Underdrive Pullies
Cold Air Intake

Brian, before my tune mine was 238rwhp and 230rwt, after tune 258rwhp, 250rwt. Mine is as stock as you can get. My tuner told me, long tubes, full exhaust, cold air intake, and IRMC deletes will put you at about 305-310rwhp.

WHAT???????????? 238rwhp?? Was that a mustang dyno????

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes it was a Mustang Dyno. He said the car is right where it should be stock. You need to remember my car is bone stock, from the intake piping to the original exhaust.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Yes it was a Mustang Dyno. He said the car is right where it should be stock. You need to remember my car is bone stock, from the intake piping to the original exhaust.

well there you go Matt, apparently you are not aware that a MUSTANG DYNO registers numbers much lower than a DYNO JET does. Thus being why I said I have NEVER seen a cobra put out a 230 something rwhp number. That 238 you did would have been like a 258 or so on a DYNO JET. Two totally diffrent dyno's in the respect of how they measure power.

jmystic

Reaction score
X-pipe, magnaflow's, u/d pulleys, jlt cai, msd coil packs/wires and a xcal2 tuned on a Dyno Dynamics dyno got me 294rwhp and 283rwtq (96 cobra with 90,000 miles). My next level was nitrous, 100 shot = 389rwhp and 381rwtq. With long tube headers, 300+ shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
A

avitar290

Reaction score
Well my dyno numbers are in. I have the X pipe and cat back exhaust installed, and I had 5 or 6 dyno pulls. The best the stang could muster up was 264RWHP and 259RWTQ. The tuner is Tony from HP-Performance in Orange Park, FL, and he gave me a few tips and some other parts are going in soon so that number should be moving more towards the 300 mark.

Just in case anyone was wondering the specs on the car. It is a 97 cobra and has 145,000 miles on it. My first mod was Motive 4:30 gears, then a Pro 5.0 shifter, next an FRPP aluminum drive shaft, and now bassani catted x pipe and cat back exhaust. BTW the sound is phenomenal. A lot of people, myself included, enjoy the SLP loudmouths, but that loud, open sound is cool for like 3 weeks and then it annoys even you. If you want a butter smooth tone with a voluminous yet tolerable note, let me suggest the bassani system.

More updates to come as they happen.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
avitar290 said:
Well my dyno numbers are in. I have the X pipe and cat back exhaust installed, and I had 5 or 6 dyno pulls. The best the stang could muster up was 264RWHP and 259RWTQ. The tuner is Tony from HP-Performance in Orange Park, FL, and he gave me a few tips and some other parts are going in soon so that number should be moving more towards the 300 mark.

Just in case anyone was wondering the specs on the car. It is a 97 cobra and has 145,000 miles on it. My first mod was Motive 4:30 gears, then a Pro 5.0 shifter, next an FRPP aluminum drive shaft, and now bassani catted x pipe and cat back exhaust. BTW the sound is phenomenal. A lot of people, myself included, enjoy the SLP loudmouths, but that loud, open sound is cool for like 3 weeks and then it annoys even you. If you want a butter smooth tone with a voluminous yet tolerable note, let me suggest the bassani system.

More updates to come as they happen.

The gears actually give you a bit less of hp.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Exhaust, tune and a basic centrifical should make you quite happy without getting into heads and the rotating assembly.

2REDSTANGS

Reaction score
[/quote]

The gears actually give you a bit less of hp.
[/quote]
is this ture ?!
how much we talkin about

brunos400ex

Reaction score
they dont drop your hosrepower a whole lot theres a thread somewhere on here i think about it

Jaxon

Reaction score
Does noone even think of UDPs and TB as a bolt on? I know neither gain much, and the TB is pretty much a waste, but I bought my car and has both. I really need to get my car tuned... I put down like 279 in 95* weather and 80% humidity on a dynojet with 4.10s, locker, axles, 62mm tb, 42# injectors, pro-m maf, bbk cai, frpp shorties, no cats, crushbent catback with flowmasters, and an exhaust leak at the header before the midpipe(throwing my a/f all f'd up+the 42s on n/a) What do you guys think about that? Sounds like with bolt ons, you COULD hit 300whp on a mustang dyno with everything running perfectly and a tune.

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
Jaxon said:
Thats one hell of a factory freak. Longtubes?
Yes. Hookers with matching X. Thats it.
DSC00074.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online