96 GT Stereo Install

Vettn71

Reaction score
I don't know why Metra, Schosce, et al can't make things a bit simpler.

ive got a 96 GT with the Mach stereo system (nonfunctional). I'm putting in an aftermarket stereo, but some of the wires to the speakers were cut and wire nutted together. I want to bypass the factory amp and just use the amp in the stereo, and repair the harness. What it looks like I might need is a Metra 70-5514 to bypass the amp and a 70-1770 to repair the harness. Does that sound right? I hate to admit how long I researched this

TIA
Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
can you get a pic of the harnesses that are in the car? Also look in the radio hole on the passenger side and see if there is a 8-pin harness mounted to the side.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not a problem be happy to get you hooked up. The mach system is easy to bypass and integrate into just need to figure out what is in there first harness wise.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
This is my wiring. There is an 8 pin connector there. The connector on the bottom that's been cut is for the speakers

Havng trouble getting picture to post. I'm on an iPad and copy it. Initially it shows up, but when I post it, nothing is there

Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You need to upload it to a photosharing site and then you can click on the picture frame with the tree in it just above where you type your post(3rd symbol from the right) and enter the HTTP://xxxxxx.jpg file in the box that opens.

Ballistic

Reaction score
This is my wiring. There is an 8 pin connector there. The connector on the bottom that's been cut is for the speakers

Havng trouble getting picture to post. I'm on an iPad and copy it. Initially it shows up, but when I post it, nothing is there

Jim

http://imgur.com/ you can upload it there and get a link to share here.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Download tapatalk to your iPad. You can get on the forum thru tapatalk and then it allows you to upload pics straight from it and take pics directly from it

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
This is the wiring; 2 connectors (black and grey) that are connected together, the 8-pin connector and the speaker connector

Thanks for the help

Jim

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you disconnect the jumper harness's you will notice that you have the regular ford non Mach plugs. You can use a standard radio harness with those and it works just fine iirc.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup as he said standard ford 70-1777 with metra or schosche is fdo2b IIRC but it has been well over 10 yrs since I used those numbers so double check me. Its an easy harness to find there will be a matching grey and black harness both with 8 pins in them. Disconnect the black harnesses that are plugged in and you just bypassed your amps. Those wires go straight to your tweeters so now use the wires that are connected to the tweeters as your signal and its done.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and if your too cheap you can actually just cut the harnesses off that you disconnect and use those but you would have to know how to test what each wire is.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I have a 70-1770 on order. So, I don't need the amplifier bypass harness? Wonder what that is for. Anyways, that saves me $20

Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that isn't actually a bypass harness as much as an integration harness. with that the subs will play but it doesn't make them sound better just because the stock amps are driving them.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
One last question on this - referring to my photo

There are two male plugs connected to females, which I think are my speaker connector, and then one male connector which is cut up. Is it the male or the female side of the connectors that get connected to the stereo? May sound like a really dumb question, but I must have five different harnesses laying around here and I could go either way

Thanks
Jim

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking it's the male side of the connectors I have to connect to, although there seems to be an extra set of black connectors. Do I just leave those connected?

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
There's that single connector, where the PO got power for the stereo, then a set of grey and a set of black connectors, with the one square Connor. The single greyconnector plugged into the back of the stereo, while the square connector plugs into the same style connector. The square connector, I think is the speaker connections. So, yeah, I'm not absolutely certain what is what. Seems like I've got too many connectors

Jim

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I think I've got it squared away. If the amp is bypassed (which I'm doing) the two single connectors, square black and the grey are abandoned. The two sets of connectors are separated and the adapter harness (wired to the aftermarket stereo connector) is connected to the male side of those connectors. This drops the amp out of the loop. I went to www.installdr.com and they had a pretty good explanation. Thanks for the help on this

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online