97 Cobra Blown Head Gasket Help/Tips

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Just updating, I know this thread has slowed down a lot due to weather, along with work and family. But the sun finally came out and I was able to somewhat get a tiny bit of work done. I connected the speedometer connector, with the rest of the wiring harness along the transmission. I had to halt progress again because of the power steering pump (That one 10 mm bolt that is hard to get to takes forever to turn). Other than that I just gave her a little wash.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
It took me an hour to finish up reinstalling the power steering pump. That one bolt that you have to put in first is a real pain but after a couple of beers it wasn't too bad. I reinstalled the AC compressor, but had to jack the engine up a few inches to clear one of the bolts.

rerouted the cables to the battery, fuse box and other grounds:

reinstalled the power steering reservoir and both coil packs:

reinstalled the header / exhaust hoses under the passenger side oil pack:

it was a tight fit, I had to slightly bend it towards the motor, and had to be careful with the AC lines

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Making progress brother! Almost there! My cobra is borderline done,they are rewiring new tps lines cause my old plug connector was brittle and broke into pieces,my engine is primed and ready to fire up then tune and its done. Heres a pic i took friday when i was at the shop. Dam this engine looked old and beat b4
18671202_259272391207903_6601815244928753788_n.jpg

Nighttrain

Reaction score
It took me an hour to finish up reinstalling the power steering pump. That one bolt that you have to put in first is a real pain but after a couple of beers it wasn't too bad. I reinstalled the AC compressor, but had to jack the engine up a few inches to clear one of the bolts.

rerouted the cables to the battery, fuse box and other grounds:

reinstalled the power steering reservoir and both coil packs:

reinstalled the header / exhaust hoses under the passenger side oil pack:

it was a tight fit, I had to slightly bend it towards the motor, and had to be careful with the AC lines

Hey bud! Know its been a while life's been crazy busy but hows progress? Got it running yet?

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Hey bud! Know its been a while life's been crazy busy but hows progress? Got it running yet?

Yes!! Actually today I had a buddy help me reinstall the driveshaft, midpipe, transmission mount, speedometer cable etc., around the lower part of the vehicle. I couldn't take any pictures because my son is due to be born either this week or next week! More pictures to come!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ true, for the better!

Be sure to ask the mommy if its ok you spend time elsewhere or be prepared to here about it!.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
I am back!!! Sorry no pictures yet, I wanted to update you guys ASAP. My buddy and I were able to put almost everything together.

I had to jack the motor up again in order to get the last AC compressor bolt in, and connect one of the negative cables from the motor to the body. We reconnected all electrical connectors, and vacuum lines. Then we put the IMRC on, then the intake manifold on, all with new gaskets. 2 of the stupid upper intake manifold bolts broke . My fault, I tightened them way too tight. We put the throttle body on, cold air intake, installed the belt, radiator and hoses and spark plugs. Filled her up with oil, coolant, and transmission fluid.

BUT now she won't start. She will crank, thats about it. We took a few hours trouble shooting:

-we checked all spark plugs, everything is good
-starter is hooked up correctly
-battery is good
-there is fuel pressure
-we cleaned the MAF
-my friend says he thinks the timing is off, but I left everything the way it was before I tore it down

(just a note, the stock alarm is still on the car, plus my aftermarket alarm. Not sure if that would affect anything)

Besides that, a flat tire and a few webs, she should be running soon!

any ideas?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not starting as in?!?? Does starter turn the motor over and it doesn't fire or it won't even turn?? Does it sputter at all or is it just rotating quietly?!?

Video of what it's doing may help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Oh, boy.....hope u got the cams timed right......on the correct banks and correct valve.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Pull the oil stick and smell the oil. If its got one hind of gas smell, stop trying to start it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously your battery is low but that doesn't sound right. I'm not a mod guy but if definitely sounds like it's fighting itself as it turns over which leads me to agree with 96blak54 about timing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Oh, boy.....hope u got the cams timed right......on the correct banks and correct valve.

yea thats what my friend said. When I took them to the machine shop the guys said they didn't move the cams at all. When I reinstalled the cam chain and guide they were all in the exact same spot as before. We may have to take the valve covers off and take a look

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Just wanted to check in...no further progress. She's still sitting in my driveway sadly, I'm hoping to get her started by Christmas

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Dang...man where u live at? Ill come by and slap it together real quick

venom

Reaction score
You mentioned something very important which is the aftermarket alarm. If you left out the wire that disables start or it has a break or wire is corroded car will never start. Besides that makes sure injectors are connected in right order as well as spark plug wires. You may want to get a battery maintainer as it’s crankin slow due to to many failed attempts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.