97 Cobra Blown Head Gasket Help/Tips

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Did you say if you were planning on degreeing your cams while the engine is out?

Enjoying this thread and your work in progress pictures as you go along.

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Glad your alive and well into the process again,happy belated xmas and happy new years. I havent taken my car to the shop yet but its been running great,just getting annoyed more by my throw out bearing that got a lil louder and that annoying exhaust leak. The more my shop is making me wait to do this project the more parts i will order to put on so im good$$$
,lol.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Alright, so I reinstalled the heads, but I had a question about the tightening steps. Heres the pages from the Haynes manual:

fxdq4w.jpg

2w3ckz8.jpg

I stopped at Step 3, because it says to "loosen 2-3 turns" ( I have the 97) I may be overthinking but how loose is 1 turn?

Look at those fresh heads!

os4mq8.jpg

Next I plan on doing more cleaning around the block and replacing the oil pan gasket. Depending on time I may paint the block, but we'll see

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Naw, youre good. Torqueing the heads in is about pre-seating before that final tightening. Torque, torque, loosen, torque torque, final turn. A little note on that final turn. Each bolt should fight back a little bit. All the way to that last bit of effort untill you meet the proper amount. If the bolt gives while tightening that last turn, here is how it will feel. It will become easy. The bolt should take muscle all the way to its stopping point, progressively becoming tighter and tighter and tighter,....never feeling easy the entire sweep.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
I'm still alive! It finally stopped raining and I got more work done.

I torqued all 20 of the cylinder head bolts to spec, and lightly ran some fresh oil around the camshafts.

Putting back the cam chain, chain guides and tensioner. I used a vice grip to compress the tensioner and used a paper clip to hold it in place.

Put a new timing cover gasket on, and did a quick wipe down of some gunk:

Labeling everything helped out a lot, even if it is messy. These are the 15 different timing cover bolts along with the front 4 oil pan bolts:

Before putting the cover on, I had a quick 20 minutes to spare and decided to replace the oil pan gasket and do a quick paint job:

Old and 20 years rusted:

After sanding and a light coat of primer:

oil_pan_primer_2.jpg

A few coats of blue:

Timing cover and oil pan on with new gaskets:

next step is to put the front accessories on

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Nice to see your alive. I left my Cobra in the shop today to do all my mods and repairs all at once,i wonder who will be driving their car first?lol My shop is fast but i have to wait for the machine shop now for the head work and valve job. I bought some decent valve covers in great shape for cheap cause mines were toast. Now im looking for someone to polish my intake cover and just paint it myself or powder coat it. Well good luck on finishing bro,your doing good.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Nice to see your alive. I left my Cobra in the shop today to do all my mods and repairs all at once,i wonder who will be driving their car first?lol My shop is fast but i have to wait for the machine shop now for the head work and valve job. I bought some decent valve covers in great shape for cheap cause mines were toast. Now im looking for someone to polish my intake cover and just paint it myself or powder coat it. Well good luck on finishing bro,your doing good.

haha good news! Most likely you will, because tomorrow its going to rain for the next week so I'm going to have to cover the motor up again

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Your chain tensioners are on the correct side, right? Driver side is Left passanger side is Right.

Also, you got the crank trigger wheel on there right?

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
yes, they are on the correct side, and yes the crank wheel is on, I just didnt take pictures. When I first removed it I labeled it "Front" and just realized that on the back they stamped "Rear". But better safe than sorry!

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Today I installed the crankshaft/vibration/harmonic balancer (so many different names in the manual), with the installer tool from the local auto parts store.
I installed the belt tensioner, pulley right above that, water pump pulley, and the driver's side accessory bracket.
I also put on new header gaskets and installed the headers. After that I installed the motor mounts.

New valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seal:

New heater tube with a new clamp:

Close up:

Didn't take pictures but I also installed the starter. I only installed the middle and bottom bolt. I remember working on my 98 GT before and it took me hours to get to the top bolt. I believe 2 bolts will hold that bad boy in there. I also did a little bit more cleaning, but due to time it isn't going 100% shiny and I couldn't paint the whole block blue. Maybe next time.

Ready to go:
(I lowered the car just a bit, and got the transmission jack in position under the car. I cleaned the remaining oil gunk around the K member and steering rack.)

This picture doesn't do the justice! I was about .10 of an inch close to the front end but I was able to clear it:

Further in:
(During this step I moved all of the electrical harnesses away, and took my time. I'd say it took a good 30-45 minutes of adjusting. I lowered and slowly pushed the motor towards the car slowly. I made sure the AC Compressor, AC lines and power steering pump weren't in the way. I hooked the clutch cable back up as well. I finally used my 2nd jack to help support the transmission, and slide everything smoothly while finally lowering the motor mounts in place.)

She's in!:

Off the top of my head I need to:
-Install transmission to crossmember
-Midpipe to Headers
-Driveshaft
-AC
-Power Steering
-A million electrical connectors and vacuum lines

It's going to rain tomorrow until next week, so I packed it up for now. We're almost there!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Dood thats some good work! You performed exactly how we would have done it!

Nice job

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Today I installed the crankshaft/vibration/harmonic balancer (so many different names in the manual), with the installer tool from the local auto parts store.
I installed the belt tensioner, pulley right above that, water pump pulley, and the driver's side accessory bracket.
I also put on new header gaskets and installed the headers. After that I installed the motor mounts.

New valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seal:

New heater tube with a new clamp:

Close up:

Didn't take pictures but I also installed the starter. I only installed the middle and bottom bolt. I remember working on my 98 GT before and it took me hours to get to the top bolt. I believe 2 bolts will hold that bad boy in there. I also did a little bit more cleaning, but due to time it isn't going 100% shiny and I couldn't paint the whole block blue. Maybe next time.

Ready to go:
(I lowered the car just a bit, and got the transmission jack in position under the car. I cleaned the remaining oil gunk around the K member and steering rack.)

This picture doesn't do the justice! I was about .10 of an inch close to the front end but I was able to clear it:

Further in:
(During this step I moved all of the electrical harnesses away, and took my time. I'd say it took a good 30-45 minutes of adjusting. I lowered and slowly pushed the motor towards the car slowly. I made sure the AC Compressor, AC lines and power steering pump weren't in the way. I hooked the clutch cable back up as well. I finally used my 2nd jack to help support the transmission, and slide everything smoothly while finally lowering the motor mounts in place.)

She's in!:

Off the top of my head I need to:
-Install transmission to crossmember
-Midpipe to Headers
-Driveshaft
-AC
-Power Steering
-A million electrical connectors and vacuum lines

It's going to rain tomorrow until next week, so I packed it up for now. We're almost there!
My updates are as followsh

Nice,finally in. Its almost 2 weeks later,any updates? Still raining? Btw i got my heads finally done,the valve guides were destroyed and they were warped,now i know how the blown headgasket happened but they look brand new now,i rebuilt my t-45 wasnt too bad just needed new synchros and bearings. I painted my upper intake,brake calipers,crossover tubemcleaned and brushed my throttle body and got some nice 98 cobra valve covers(mines were superbad). They should be putting her together shortly then a tune with my new longtubes :) What was your youtube channel again? and ig?

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
nothing yet, it's been raining on and off and I haven't had enough time. Your progress sounds real good! My YouTube is ROYCE 415 but I'm not as active on it, my ig is royce_415

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Dam stupid rain right,lol. My cobra should be done this week,last week they just started putting the heads on last but they packed for bradenton for the NMRA weekend,i wonder if the shop will be open tomorrow,im getting very anxious

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online