97 Cobra Speedo Issue

BillG

Reaction score
Guys I have a friend of mine who owns a 97 Cobra. The speedo gears have been replaced and the speedo isnt working. How do we check the sensor on the transmission. Ive read you can check it with an OB2 hand scanner is this true. Any info would be awesome. I know how i fixed it on my 95 but our clusters are not interchangeable with out wire flip ive heard.

Thanks

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yes you can check it with a scanner. Has he checked his fuses yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Really not sure what he has checked. I know he has sent the cluster to local guy we have that works on them and brings them back to life. I have a 94 - 95 cluster i want to take down and swap out for testing as well. I know the fuel and temp gauge wont work but the speedo should right? Just making sure its not cluster.

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hmm I would still check all the fuses and grounds. I’m not sure you can use another cluster in it because pats is built into the cluster.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t use a 94-95 cluster in a 97. Totally different.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Thanks guys for info. Here is what I have found out from him so far. Cluster gears replaced and cluster checked out. The sensor was checked and also was told it was good. SO either the fuse is issue or something isn't right. I'm still learning these cars with the journey I'm having with mine so thanks again for the info.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Yes you can check it with a scanner. Has he checked his fuses yet?

Fuse checked and good. He's open to any other ideas it may because i have no idea what to tell him.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Can he datalog? If so, he should see if the speed shows up on a datalog. If it does it’s the speedo. Otherwise did he do anything to the car before it started acting up?

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Im sure he has no idea what datalog is. All I have is a hand held OB2 scanner to check stuff with. Not sure that would even help

07GtS197

Reaction score
It depends on what the fault is. If its the vss/oss then it will throw a code but if it is the cluster then I doubt it.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
It depends on what the fault is. If its the vss/oss then it will throw a code but if it is the cluster then I doubt it.

Well he isn't getting a code or at least he hasn't told me of one. So that leaves the cluster to be the main culprit it looks like.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Here's the million dollar question. Can the PATS stuff be turned off in programming. He is going to get cluster refurbished by a local guy and he says his PAT light wont go out like it use to.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Pats can be turned off but I’m not sure it’s something that just anyone could do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online