98 cammed 3.8 build

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
I bought my car around two or three months ago with absolutely no plans of building it haha

Put some new headlights in it to get rid of the ugly faded ebay halos that it had.

Put an 8.8 rear end with 3.73s in it. Made a huge difference and made it way more fun to drive.

Then one very unfortunate day i was riding down the interstate and then engine made a loud popping noise and abbruptly turned itself off... It died.

So instead of pulling my engine out and fixing it i went to the junkyard and got a block from a 00 v6 mustang

And then proceeded to rebuild it from the bottom up

I got about this far and a good friend told me to put the 4.2 cam in it and i said screw it if im going to change the cam then I'm going to not take one out of a junk truck.

Then finally i said why not do the windstar intake while I'm already here. Heres a picture with it sittine on it but I still have to paint it before I bolt it down.

This is as far as ive gotten so far. We need to move my friend/coworker/boss's car out of the shop so we can beging pulling my old engine and swap them out.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Fixed the title for you!

Did you do any porting?

Looks like a good build though. Any plans for boost?

No, no porting and no plans for boost. My original plan was to buy another body to put then enigne into because my convertible was wrecked and NONE of the body panels line up correctly. But last weekend while looking for a body i stumbled across a 95 GT roller for $300 so now im going to sell my v6 when its all done and build a nice 5.0 engine.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score

This is the new one i picked up. The body is all straight execpt for some bondo spots that will be sanded before i get it painted. Its already got a $400 fiberglass hood and a built rear end with 4.56s in it. (The rear end is for sale if anyone wants it btw)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You may want to hold up proceeding with the engine and back track a little. Figure out whats the highest compression ratio most 3.8l guys go with on the stock cams and bump yours up a little. You gonna run 91+octane and gears anyway. Might as well utilize the cam profile benefits.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You may want to hold up proceeding with the engine and back track a little. Figure out whats the highest compression ratio most 3.8l guys go with on the stock cams and bump yours up a little. You gonna run 91+octane and gears anyway. Might as well utilize the cam profile benefits.

Read the thread lol. He is no longer building a v6

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
what an abrupt change of plans!
HAHA I know it is. It's all happening pretty quick right now. I should be picking up a running 5.0 engine and a trans next weekend but im still unsure. I will continue to update this build thread until it is complete and sold though.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score

Finally Its time to start with the swap.

Please Dont mind the GT rear bumper it was there when i got the car XD

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Hey look someone was sweet enough to go into this thing before and replace the casting plugs.

Too bad the popping noise i heard when the car broke down was one of them firing out of my head.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Well I pulled the head off that had the blown out casting plug and found an exploded piston. :D

It got so hot that the upper ring land blew off.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Ok so I know its been a while since i've put anything up here. Idk what happened but i got the engine in and lost all hope and just got bored with it but now im back and ready to have this project done with.

I spliced together the old and new fuel rail so that i could still have my return line.

Now i just have to fab up a block off plate for the fuel pressure regulator. Then i can start with the windstar intake that i have. :)