'98 GT A/C bypass question

ProjectGunshū

Reaction score
Hello fellow 2 valvers. I have a quick question, and of course, the internet doesn't provide one solid answer. Looking to bypass my a/c pump, as it is failing and squealing horrendously and I don't have the money (being a college student) to fix something I won't use but a few weeks out of the year. So my question for those who have done it is, what is the belt length to be used, and will I need to swap a smooth pulley for a grooved one? I don't want to delete the entire thing, because I may still use it at a later date. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure what that means. Did you try using some wire/string and running it and then measuring? It only takes 3-4 mins and is really the best way to do it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Update: I am SOL, so dummy pulley it is.
You’re not sol! Don’t pull it yet. Do you have a 3 bolt tensioner? If so, get a grooved idler puller from a newer crown Vic engine (like 06 or so), put that on, then grab a piece of string and measure the length. I don’t remember the length right off top of my head. You could do this in the parts store parking lot and keep trying belts until you get one that fits.

OP
OP
ProjectGunshū

ProjectGunshū

Reaction score
I have I think a 4 bolt, not at the car right now so can't be certain. Non-PI engine. Haven't pulled anything apart yet, so I am all ears.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I have I think a 4 bolt, not at the car right now so can't be certain. Non-PI engine. Haven't pulled anything apart yet, so I am all ears.

The npi is a 3 bolt cover, some of the pi engines were 1 bolt tensioners. Anywho, just do like a said above, swap the smooth idler pulley (not the tensioner pulley) for a grooved one. The measure it out with string and try a belt. You can do the whole job in the parking lot.

OP
OP
ProjectGunshū

ProjectGunshū

Reaction score
Alright. Everywhere I looked said if i had a New Edge/ PI motor, do this and all done. But for the NPI, impossible. So I will go do that in the next couple of days, and come back with my findings. Thank you for your assistance, "Mr Secondary Timing Chain."

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Alright. Everywhere I looked said if i had a New Edge/ PI motor, do this and all done. But for the NPI, impossible. So I will go do that in the next couple of days, and come back with my findings. Thank you for your assistance, "Mr Secondary Timing Chain."

You’re very welcome. I am here to help when I can. I don’t know why the internet says it can’t be done, I’ve done it a few times. Had the old 98 timing cover in my car setup without power steering and with and without a/c.

OP
OP
ProjectGunshū

ProjectGunshū

Reaction score
I have seen it done with taking the ps pump off, but being it's my daily for college, I'm not about to take that out. I guess I will return that dummy pulley once it arrives, and get my belt length sorted out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You’re very welcome. I am here to help when I can. I don’t know why the internet says it can’t be done, I’ve done it a few times. Had the old 98 timing cover in my car setup without power steering and with and without a/c.
are you saying that the net could be wrong? I mean if this is true I then things will just never be the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online