98 Gt project

austinw88

Reaction score
I just got this car 3 days ago in a trade and was hoping for the best with it and got the worst, anyways its a 98 gt 5 speed pretty much stock for now. The previous owner plasti dipped it a horrible color and did a crap job on both the car and rims. I have a set of cobra r wheels on the way for it and I'm starting the the reassembly of the motor soon, due to a blown head gasket.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Holy shit!! What did you trade? Anyway.. You've come to the right place for support and advice. Can't wait to see what happens!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Found the easiest and probably messiest way to get thin Plastidip off is to use Xylene. It practically melts the plastidip off the car but it makes a huge mess and you'll need a pressure washer and to really scrub what's left off. But if it's too thin to just pull off like my buddies car, it's about the only option. It took us 2 gallons to get it all off and it still had some small bits left but we were prepping the car for paint so just zipped it off with a DA.

OP
OP
austinw88

austinw88

Reaction score
goof off is what i'm going to use, works really well but does the same thing leaves some left over and makes a mess but works good. hopefully i'll have all the plasti dip off by the end of the weekend.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Why is the headgasket blown? I ask cause you dont want to rework this engine to discover blown rings. Welcone to the forums, you came to the right place. Where is your location?

OP
OP
austinw88

austinw88

Reaction score
Why is the headgasket blown? I ask cause you dont want to rework this engine to discover blown rings. Welcone to the forums, you came to the right place. Where is your location?

building too much pressure in the cooling system, plus I did a compression test and was down to 80 psi on 5-6 and 3-4 cylinders. I already have the heads off and I did find the bad spots on the gasket. I'm waiting to have the heads redone, in the mean time I did make some progress on getting the plasti dip off today.

Thanks I live in south carolina

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hopefully coolant didnt wash the rings out. I would be leery replacing them heads on that short block.

OP
OP
austinw88

austinw88

Reaction score
Hopefully coolant didnt wash the rings out. I would be leery replacing them heads on that short block.

so it would be a better idea to just do a rebuild? The car didn't get overheated too much from what I know of but cant be sure.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I highly suggest a rebuild. If your on a budget, just disassemble, rebearing and rering with a good hone,...youll be fine, but if you want some extra power, its really not much more to aquire it.

OP
OP
austinw88

austinw88

Reaction score
A little paint work done, I haven't had much time to work on it. still waiting to put the motor bad together.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
A little paint work done, I haven't had much time to work on it. still waiting to put the motor bad together.

Working on em outside....I've been there when I first bought my car so I feel your pain. My car actually stayed outside for nearly a year before I finally got it put in my shop and started rebuilding it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online