98 Rear shock mount question

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
So I have a 98 GT that I am no longer going to be tracking. But I like the ride height so I take off all the track hardcore parts and am putting on more street fighter type stuff. The shocks I am using in the back of Koni orange. I have the car on lifted wheel chocks so I can get under the car while it sits on the road. I go to put the rear shocks on that they will not collapse up enough to get in the axle shock mount. They are about 3/4" too long. So I guess I need to extend the shock mount that bolts to the axle. Anyone else run into this? Who sells an extender? I think I found one made by UPR but don't really want to put anything made by them on the car.

Jake

95opal

Reaction score
You can just buy a shorter shock or go the route your on with the drop mount. If you dont like upr try chassisworks, racecraft, speedway. You can even fab your own if you have the correct tools. I know one thing dont bothervwith the typical mustang sites.

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with RaceCraft as I have their drop spindles. Sort of familiar with the others. I looked around using every type of search term I could think of yesterday and could not find anything I liked. So I started making my own. Just need to bend them up, a little welding and add the stud. I figured this would be a more common issue.

98_lower_shock_extension.jpg

Jake

95opal

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with RaceCraft as I have their drop spindles. Sort of familiar with the others. I looked around using every type of search term I could think of yesterday and could not find anything I liked. So I started making my own. Just need to bend them up, a little welding and add the stud. I figured this would be a more common issue.

98_lower_shock_extension.jpg

Jake

Boom thats your best bet. It actually is a common problem but most guys dont quite understand ahock travel and proper lenght. They simply toss in drip spring with a set of shocks and wonder why it rides like a bag of rocks lol. Worst part about it is the installed height , ride height numbers of juat about every shock is readily available lol

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Yeah I have noticed the same thing. With the track suspension on the car I had a hell of a time getting the steering angles to work properly especially under dive. But with the street suspension everything seems to be going much smoother. The front is already done and after these get bolted on the rear will be set. Looking forward to driving the car a couple of times a week instead of just a couple of times a month.

Jake

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Speed is his name!!!! Lol

Seriously though, that was quick!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I could but by the time I am finished I would probably have to make 20 or 25 sets and sell them just to break even. I had to use a laser to cut them. Makes cost per unit really jump up.

Jake

95opal

Reaction score
Progress!
98_lower_shock_extension_1.jpg

Jake

Those came out nice...little suggestion if you ever do another set. Instead of a single bolt hole on the ear for the shock space out a few holes to mount the shock at maybe 1/2" increments. This will allow a bit more adjustanility other than that... mint.

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I thought about multiple holes. But I made a bunch of measurements and this spacing covers the travel that I need. If I am wrong (that happens) I will make another set and put these up for sale.

Jake

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Well got them done. Will check fit tonight if I get home early enough. If everything fits as planned I will get them zinc plated and bolt them on for good.

98_lower_shock_extension_2.jpg

Jake

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Well got it all done. Here they are back from the plater with a yellow zinc.

98_lower_shock_extension_3.jpg

Then I painted them to hopefully make them hideaway a bit.

98_lower_shock_extension_4.jpg

And here they are installed. Worked out perfectly and full suspension restored.

98_lower_shock_extension_5.jpg

Well that's it. Problem identified and fixed. Onto the next.

Jake

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I have a couple of more fabrication projects coming up involving this car. I will post up that stuff as well.

Jake

Silver95bird

Reaction score
How much is the car lowered ? I saw your older pics, and it doesn't look that bad. I'm curious, as I have orange konis as well, albeit at a stock ride height. You added what, like 1.5-2" of extension there? Neat trick. Consider making extras in a big batch, and making some profit! Nice work!

OP
OP
Jakespeeds

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Not sure of the actual amount the car is lowered. I have Racecraft 2" drop spindles in front with coilovers. But the coilovers are only screwed down about an inch. If I had to make a wild ass guess I would say 3.5 inches total. Actually I added 3 full inches of travel for the shocks. I may regret having put the car back to the same ride height I used at the track for the street. Only time will tell. As for making a batch and making a profit that can be tricky. I have an aerospace shop with expensive to maintain certifications. So my guys command a much higher shop rate than a normal shop. Also to make these parts at that thickness I had to use a laser. Much more expensive than using a punch. Making a profit would be trickier than just braking even. If I thought I could make say 15 sets and sell them in the 65.00 dollar range with no finish then I could expect to break even I think. Is that a scenario that seems likely within 6 months?

Jake

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Didn't know it was that much work. I have to admit I have no idea what a fair market value would be for them. Still, great looking pieces. Looks factory unless you really pay attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online