A/C Problems

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by bmcgc, Jul 27, 2015.

1. bmcgc

bmcgc Member

We bought our 94 GT vert 4 months ago. The PO stated that he had to recharge the A/C every summer.

When we bought the car the A/C was working, a day later it wasn't.

I took it to a shop and they replaced the high pressure switch, did a pressure test and recharged the system. It worked for 2 days and started blowing hot air again.

How does this system seal? Is it with the crappy O-rings that Ford used for many years? Im losing coolant from somewhere. It passed the pressure test in the shop so Im guessing that when the car is on the road and things are moving around under the hood the vibration is allowing the fittings to flex enough to let the coolant escape.

Opinions?

2. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

Get a uv dye and light kit to really track down a leak and most places do a vacuum test not a pressure test. It can be as stupid as a torn o ring but it could be worse, theres no way of knowing until you run uv dye through it.

3. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

a/c uses refrigerant. the cooling system uses coolant.

4. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Being that the po had the system charged every summer tells me that there is a leak. A leak of that size should be easily detected. What kind of shop are you bringing it to? Any competent a/c should will have a sniffer to detect leaks. I mean, hell, im not an a/c shop and I have a sniffer. I bought it for personal use and it will detect the smallest leaks. I had a Schrader valve leaking on my wife's truck and the sniffer picked right up on it. Also, her system would not hold a vacuum because of the leak. I would think you need to try a different shop, sounds like this one cut some corners.

5. 87hurricane

87hurricane Member

Also, any competent shop should have put uv dye in the system when they recharged it, especially since they knew there was an ongoing issue. Call the shop and see if they put dye in it, if so it should be easy for them to trace down your leak. BTW, all a/c systems use o-rings, nothing wrong with that.

6. blackhorse

blackhorse New Member

And change all o-rings and port valves of the system .