age old wont start,hard start blah blah blah

101vet

Reaction score
So i'd like to say i'm a complete newbe to fords and this page, So sorry if this is in the wrong place So bare with me.....

So i just picked up a 95 5.0ltr Mustang and all was well till the no start issue appeared, Which seems to be a very common problem:confused: .. Anyway found a good guide to trouble shooting this issue and i have done some allready while being stranded at work trying to figure out what was going on.... I'm thinking its going to be the PIP since the car has 180k and the dizzy looks original . So i've been looking at parts and pricing for that what if. So i know about MSD but i found this dizzy http://www.americanmuscle.com/pd-hot-forged-distributor-9495v8.html

And i'm curious if anyone has used it and if its any good?
And for shits and giggles here is what has happen in the last week....

First time.. Drove to work car sat for roughly 11 hours, go to leave crank no start, voltage at coil ign connector 12V, battery has 12.65Vs .....Jiggle stuff, scratch my ass get in and it cranks and starts....

Second time.. the following morning, cranks no start, get out of car pissed its freezing (40 here in the Desert:mad:) wiggle coil wires crank it few times and it finally starts..

Allmost a week goes by and it happens again today same scenario has the first time, cranks and cranks no start, finally hook it up to a truck to jump it ( battery is showing its age and abuse and reading 12.25V) and it cranks faster :headbang:duh, and then second try fires right up....

car has a crappy china made coil which i plan to replace but does test good, and the plug for the ign wires to coil is janky but secure...

So if your in AZ and want to join me in the fun come on over i got beer,chew and pizza.....:thumbsup:

TanTop94

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a tune up man! I had the PIP problem and I just went with getting a whole new (not reman'd) distributor. But it sounds like you could use a tune up as well (battery, plugs, wires ya know)? Just a thought!

OP
OP
101vet

101vet

Reaction score
A tune is diff going to happen, But know this no start is a deeper issue.... My weekend coming is nothing but tearing into this thing...

TanTop94

Reaction score
Id just look into the pip...my had the habit of stalling out while I was driving, wouldnt crank after trying to restart it, then would crank up and drive fine. Did that for like 2 days in a week then not for another 2 months so they can be weird. I think that and a nice tune up would help you with a lot of problems on these motors. I got my car with 110k on it and did a tune up right away, the only problems it has ever given me after that were a harmonic balance and a PIP sensor. Not too bad.

Addermk2

Reaction score
If you are already planning on buying a new distributor, let me save you a load of cash. I have a brand new billet distributor sitting on my shelf that will go unused. If you buy it, I'll toss in a factory coil.

Also, list any mods you have done to the car. I'get got some ideas about what could be wrong, but need more info.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
As already stated, a basic tune up is where I always start with when having slow/ no start issues. Don't forget the the fuel filter.
Usually PIP issues show up as heat related, meaning when the engine is at operating temp you'll stall then have a no start till after the PIP cools down. As the PIP breakes down further you'll get the no start when the engine is cold too.
Some people on here have had issues with MSD dizzy's. Remanned units are usually hit miss and can take a couple trips to the parts store till you finally get one that works. (it took me 3 trips)

OP
OP
101vet

101vet

Reaction score
Yeah the no start only happens and has only happen to me 3 times since I got the car. Its either after work (car sitting 11 hours) or in the morning, other then that it occasionally has a hard start ( cranks more then normal) but runs fine otherwise, plenty of power, idle is smooth and doesn't hang or fluctuate.... Its still cool here in Phoenix(70 today) , So want toget it figured out before summer hits..

Car has a lot of miles and some neglect from the previous owner, And knew this when buying it, Have paperwork showing a complete engine rebuild by a ford dealership about 4 years ago motor has around 40k on it now. I plan on doing all the test on the ignition system before throwing parts and money at it, I was raised better then that lol.... Just seeing what you guys run on these cars as far as parts and companies...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have over 200,000+ miles on the origional and stock 5.0. and it still runs great.

Have you tried to pull codes yet? you can have one set without the CEL actually being on. No need for a OBD1 code reader, you can do it with a paperclip. Just ck in your Haynes/Chilton manual.
BTW the OBD2 port in your car only works in the v6 models and everything else 96 and up.

OP
OP
101vet

101vet

Reaction score
So car died today leaveing work, went thru the test on everything and the PIP in the dizzy finally crapped out... Lucky saw it coming and bought the dizzy from Addermk2 had mentioned, So once i get that ill have it back on the road....

Sent while in your Mom

OP
OP
101vet

101vet

Reaction score
Well while i wait for the Dizzy/Coil to arrive, Started replacing the batt cables and terminals along with sparkplugs and wires. Found the wire coming from the alt to the battery is beyond corroded and falling apart so now looking for new wire and fuseable links which apparantly isnt the easiest to find here in Phoenix...

Sent while in your Mom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001