Alternator bracket: PI intake on NPI car

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by delling3, Nov 25, 2020.

1. delling3

delling3 Active Member

Started tearing things down to do a cam and intake swap, and ran into a head scratcher. My car is a '96. I had understood that the alternator bracket is not a direct swap to a PI intake, due to variations in bolt spacing. So, I just took my bracket and matched it up with the FRPP PI Intake and the bolt holes match up perfectly. Having a difficult time understanding what I am seeing here. Can anyone help?

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

If they match up perfectly.....roll with it!
    But i have to ask about your curiosity. Are you thinking this new intake isnt correct or the old intake wasnt correct?

3. delling3

delling3 Active Member

Naw, clearly the intake on the car is an NPI type, and the new one is just as clearly PI. Just everything I saw said that the brackets wouldn’t transfer. My bracket looks different from OEM though.

4. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I’m pretty sure that’s going to be a difference between intakes with the plastic crossover vs the aluminum crossover. My 98 had an aluminum crossover and the bracket swapped to the pi intake just fine.

5. delling3

delling3 Active Member

I have to assume that my car had a broken manifold that was replaced at some point - it clearly is an NPI intake but has the aluminum crossover. I have heard reports of some late NPI cars already having the aluminum crossover, but mines a 96. Here is a picture of the bracket - as you can see it has a "fin" which extends back from the alternator mount.

IMG_0217 (2).jpg

You can see the bracket in this shot. It covers some of the lines that cross over from side to side between the alternator and the throttle body/plenum. I have never seen a Mustang with this type bracket, but based on the part number, I think it's a Dorman part number - probably came with the replacement intake.

IMG_0214 (2).jpg

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Notthenow

Notthenow New Member

My stock bracket from my 1998 fit the manifold, but the alternator back upper bolt boss had to be clearanced to fit.

7. Notthenow

Notthenow New Member

As in it was hitting the aluminum crossover. I just filed the boss until I had 1/8" clearance.

8. Notthenow

Notthenow New Member

Photo 20201126_091905.jpg 20201126_091905.jpg

Attached Files:

9. ttocs

ttocs Post Whore

FYI if ya do do that, cover those little holes in the alt with some tape