any questions about air suspension..i can answer :)

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
makes sense..i think the way you have it set up is nice anyways..no need to slam in that car

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea i like fast bags on minitrucks. however camaros, firebirds, mustangs..etc. they need 4way setups with 1/4" lines for performance and slower raise and drop. nobody wants to see a mustang hopping, lmao! i dont anyway :p

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
that's a good point, the slow bags or whatever you call it are definitely what i'd want to see on a sports car.

also I'm not doubting the air ride has a softer ride than coilovers, but I'm thinking the same thing that makes it a smooth ride would also make it less capable in the handling department. or is that not how it works?

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
it's the tunability you have. tons of work installing springs and coilovers to get the right load capacity and spring rate can all be done with the tap of a switch, lol. you can adjust the air pressure to ride soft or stiff. on a road course, stiff would be ideal right? if so, lower the air pressure in the bags enough to rid any excess body roll. that will give you a stiffer suspension but not impossible to ride in, lol. add an adjustable shock to the mix, shiiit. your ride will def ride nice and handle nice!

heres a great article on air suspensions for those who want to know in depth details on tunability and performance aspects :)

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/hrdp_0701_air_suspension/viewall.html

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess i don't understand how you could let air out of a bag to lower it but also make it stiff. it seems like if you lower the air pressure it would be more loose than stiff.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I guess i don't understand how you could let air out of a bag to lower it but also make it stiff. it seems like if you lower the air pressure it would be more loose than stiff.
because the more you compress your shocks the stiffer the ride. releasing the air pressure in the bag causes your car to sit lower, which causes you shock (adjustable would be ideal) to compress. i use air rides adjustable shocks to tune the rebound and compression to a soft setting. so when i lay out, my shocks are'nt very stiff. if you lay out with your shocks tuned to a stiffer setting..not only will having an aggressive lowered stance get rid of body roll, but with the shocks tuned properly you can set your ride how you want. stiff or soft.

coilovers dont allow you to sit low enough to get rid of nearly ALL body roll without compressing your spring to a horrible ride quality. i'd say that's what guys like most about air ride when it comes to handling. but yea, you need an adjustable shock and maybe a beefy anti sway bar. that combo would destroy any coilover setup, lol.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
think about it like this OnyxCobra. your coilovers have a certain load capacity and height of spring..12-14" i assume with 150-175 spring rate correct? not sure what your coilovers are rated at.

i can run 50lbs of air up front and 20lbs of air in the rear. that would be me having 0 wheel gap. that also changes what you would use as a spring rate. meaning with different levels of air pressure in your bags you have tons of different "spring rates". in order to get the same amount of different "spring rates" that bags allow, you would have to swap out your coils every time you are in different driving situations. i dont know the #'s of all the different load capacities that each amount of air pressure would measure out to be..neither does any one on the planet, lol. it's just a matter of being able to actually change the load capacity by not having to change springs...only having to put your finger on a switch :)

TUNABILITY my man...coilovers are an improvement over lowering springs...but not as versatile as air ride.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its alot of fun but the cost is what turns most people off. I think just like a nice side exhaust system you have to pay to play. The system I have has 3 preset ride heights so #2 is for driving and probably a little higher then I would like to run it but so that it can clear bumps/obsticles. At that setting though it is still lower then factory and it rides better then any lowered mustand I have been in. Most of the time I am in a lowered mustang it seems sooo stiff that its almost uncomfortable or so soft that all you hear is dragging but not with the bags. They will only compress so far and while they do its a nice smooth transition from movement to stopping, not like your hitting a bump stop that stops all movement completely.

I have another friend locally that is about to install his ride-pro system I think it is as he liked mine so much.

To put it into persective how much fun it can be though I have one story, the first show I went too after installation. I thought it was going to be a small show and wasn't feeling well that morning anyway so I showed up late and was amazed to see the lot full. I parked in the corner and could not see any of my club members until I got up front as they were in the spots at the VERY front, and had saved 2 spots... So I went back to move the car, aired it up just enough to not scrape and started to make my way through the lot to the front. With the cam and sidepipes, people heard me comming and it was like moses parting the red sea to see people turn around to watch me drive by. Another member helped me back the car in so then I had to laugh at peoples reactions when I hit the #1 button and announce I had installed my air ride with a resounding "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!). By the time I turned off the motor I had to ask someone to take a step left/right just to be able to open my door as there were 8 guys already around it checking it out. They saw the tanks/valves when I got out(behind my drivers seat) and I ended talking about it and showing it off for nearly 45 mins before they left.

It will make you stand out in a show crowd, it will help it handle bumps like it was stock and help you corner. The only downside is the $$$$ and the additional maint but the maint is not that much and I forgot the price a while back with as much as I have enjoyed it. Worth every penny imo......

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Here is Ridetech's Camaro. Shows the car on the auto-x as well as the road course. All on air.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=ZhbK24n9Dk0[/video]

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Tony you keep saying compressing the spring which doesn't sound right to me, when you lower the car on coilovers you're not compressing the spring any more or any less when you raise it, the spring is always compressed the same unless the weight of the car changes.

also note compressing the shocks more really shouldn't make the car ride stiffer, the shocks are pretty even all the way through.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
onyx...jesus you like to fuukin argue, lol.

ok my dude, lets do this :) with a coilover...you have 3 nuts to adjust. 1 locking, 1 spring load, and 1 ride height. go outside to your car and adjust your coilovers low enough to tuck your tires. i bet you have to adjust your top nut (spring load) to compress your spring more :) if ya dont, you cant sit no lower than a typical lowering spring would drop ya :)

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea whip. and maybe set some different ride height presets also.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
i'm figuring this would be for standing outsdie the car since there's already switches inside..correct? if not then i don't understand

Yes like so many other things that smart phones are made to operate now it really is just a toy. But on my car it will be a little helpfull just because I flushmounted the E3 digital display on my ceiling. The problem there is that its designed to go on your dash/floor so looking at it there the front bags on the display are up front and the rear-bags behind them. Well when you mount that to the ceiling then suddenly the front display is behind the rear so it looks backwards. With the media player mounted in the cup holder it will fix that problem but otherwise I think it will just be fun to mess with people at shows/parking lots.

I have also heard about some people using a single bag in their drag cars but never actually talked to anyone doing it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
onyx...jesus you like to fuukin argue, lol.

ok my dude, lets do this :) with a coilover...you have 3 nuts to adjust. 1 locking, 1 spring load, and 1 ride height. go outside to your car and adjust your coilovers low enough to tuck your tires. i bet you have to adjust your top nut (spring load) to compress your spring more :) if ya dont, you cant sit no lower than a typical lowering spring would drop ya :)

dude i'm not trying to argue, you're just misinformed about coilover setups. I only have ONE collar to turn to adjust my ride height, the coilover spring sits on it and you can turn it up and down and that's how you adjust the height. there's no locking nut, no spring load, etc. It's just a collar on a threaded sleeve. I can easily tuck my tire by turning the spring collar lower without touching ANYTHING else on my car.

btw i'm not saying one setup is better than the other, i'm just explaining that what you're saying makes no sense lol.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
pppssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
dude i'm not trying to argue, you're just misinformed about coilover setups. I only have ONE collar to turn to adjust my ride height, the coilover spring sits on it and you can turn it up and down and that's how you adjust the height. there's no locking nut, no spring load, etc. It's just a collar on a threaded sleeve. I can easily tuck my tire by turning the spring collar lower without touching ANYTHING else on my car.

btw i'm not saying one setup is better than the other, i'm just explaining that what you're saying makes no sense lol.
you only have 1 threaded collar? are you sure?

[video=youtube;S34KmnCGRIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S34KmnCGRIA[/video]

1 is for ride height...1 is for spring load...the 1 in the middle is a locking nut!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online