Anyone have experience with this valve spring compressor tool?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Looks alot easier than my old fashioned clamp style compressor. Looks like it works good. You could make one alot cheaper though

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I've seen the OTC tools for compressing the valve springs (I need to change my valve stem seals soon) and it looks a little frustrating to use till you get the hang of it. I stumbled across this tool and it looked easier to use since it bolted in place. Anyone use this and is it a quality made tool?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/122071702907?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

heres a video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOhzaGupYQ

thanks!

Thats the one Ive got. It works like a champ. Ive used it dozens of times. When the time comes, if you just need to use it for your heads Ill gladly let you borrow mine until you finish. That way you dont have to buy a single time use tool.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thats the one Ive got. It works like a champ. Ive used it dozens of times. When the time comes, if you just need to use it for your heads Ill gladly let you borrow mine until you finish. That way you dont have to buy a single time use tool.

Thank you, glad to hear it's a good tool...You are the man! I just ordered valve stem seals but I'm probably going to mill it over whether I change the chain guides and possibly purchase some cams. I will be getting ahold of you in the future (I'd pay a rental charge to make it worth loaning it out)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What method will you use to keep valves in place while swapping seals?

Nighttrain

Reaction score

You gotta make sure its not just a one time use thing........build it and they will come...

Reaction score
That looks neat. OTC is a really good brand, they make affordable options to Snap On and the truck brands. I've always had good luck with OTC.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Thank you, glad to hear it's a good tool...You are the man! I just ordered valve stem seals but I'm probably going to mill it over whether I change the chain guides and possibly purchase some cams. I will be getting ahold of you in the future (I'd pay a rental charge to make it worth loaning it out)

If you are already in there, its not a bad thing to change the chain guides and tensioner arms. Then if you get a set of cams, thats just a plus! lol. There wont be a need for a rental fee, I offered so why would I charge you.

When I did mine in the car, I just put the piston I was working with at tdc so the valve wouldnt fall in.

You gotta make sure its not just a one time use thing........build it and they will come...

Thats probably why I have used mine so many times, just like that 3/8-18 npt tap that we need for the temp sensor......that thing has been gold lol.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
If you are already in there, its not a bad thing to change the chain guides and tensioner arms. Then if you get a set of cams, thats just a plus! lol. There wont be a need for a rental fee, I offered so why

When I did mine in the car, I just put the piston I was working with at tdc so the valve wouldnt fall in.

Thats probably why I have used mine so many times, just like that 3/8-18 npt tap that we need for the temp sensor......that thing has been gold lol.

Yes sir! And i agree with warrior do it all at once burning river. No sense in spending money numerous times on gaskets and fluids

Oh if i dont take the heads off i use an air compressor no.sense in fight with crap

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yes sir! And i agree with warrior do it all at once burning river. No sense in spending money numerous times on gaskets and fluids

Oh if i dont take the heads off i use an air compressor no.sense in fight with crap

I tried the air compressor deal but I couldnt get an adapter that would seal up correctly. With the cams out and the spark plugs pulled, I just left a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and stuck a screw driver down the spark plug hole. Rolled the crank while holding the screwdriver on the piston and when it was all the way up, I knew the piston wouldnt let the valves fall in. Its easier to do than it is to type.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

Planning to do the method lwarrior1016 mentioned, move each cylinder to tdc as I change each one (good fail safe) but I plan on hooking up the spark plug adapter to my air compressor so the valves stay closed and easier to access when I re-install the springs.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

Hopefully it's just a one time thing for me! Planning on keeping the npi heads as long as I use this engine. After reading some of 96blak54 s posts they should be fine for upgraded cams/ forced induction if I decide to go that route down the road.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That looks neat. OTC is a really good brand, they make affordable options to Snap On and the truck brands. I've always had good luck with OTC.

Yeah OTC has a good reputation and the tools I do have from them have proven to be reliable (not to mention lifetime warranty on most hand tools). From what I've read, the OTC tool works but the orange tool seemed more user friendly if I leave the heads installed while changing the seals.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Mine is a bare aluminum version, but seriously its the best way to do valve springs. You can compress the spring and fight with the retainers without worrying about the spring coming loose.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I can see that valve spring compressor could be real handy while holding the spring down , giving ample amounts of time. Heck, you could stop in the middle of holding the spring down, go make a sandwich, come back and finish up. Although it seems time consuming on my end, I could have really respected the level of control back when I started compressing spings in a modular. The cam pivot tool can be a real pain! Takes an artists hand to use.

Before rotating the piston up when removing the spring, get some rope and fish it in the chamber. This way their is no gap when compressing the valve spring

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The rope would be a good idea, that way the valve doesn't hit the piston itself. When I did mine I ran the valve down until touched the piston and that was enough pressure to make the retainers pop up. I was careful and didnt bend any valves lol.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
And an electric impact or drill makes that go much faster, mine also came with 2 bolts so it could be set up to do the next valve and save a little time.

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
I have the OTC tool and once you get the hang of the tool its ok, however I had to grind a little off of the tool to get it to work. I had read about others having to do that too. This one looks really nice though.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Hopefully it's just a one time thing for me! Planning on keeping the npi heads as long as I use this engine. After reading some of 96blak54 s posts they should be fine for upgraded cams/ forced induction if I decide to go that route down the road.

Blak is a master, all depends on what you want to do and expect out of your build.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Blak is a master, all depends on what you want to do and expect out of your build.

He posts more info than I look up on my own when it comes to the technicalities of the modular 2v. Trying to figure out what I'm going to want (to drop money on) down the road is tough to decide as well. As long as I can come up with a plan to make the small affordable parts compliment the end result I am happy, his info helps a great deal with that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online