Anyone know what brace this is

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Dam and I have mine at a 2 inch drop on the front nothing hitting the bottom yet .
with out any plates under the car

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
After I lowered my car the first time I scraped the brace scared the crap out of me...
Now I plan ahead to avoid bad pavement. The joy of a lowered car.
f9697a16f8376baf64e075ba0bd4dbd4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
How low did you go and witch springs did you use , that is a lot of scraping , the most I have had was the exhaust and I lowed the car 2 inches in the front even speed bumps don't bother the car or mild pot holes , and I have really shitty roads where im at

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Car Has H&R Supersport springs and poly upper and lower isolators. Subframe connectors tie the front and rear subframes together but not the K member. That's what the convertable brace is for.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Ok the previous owner must have used this brace as a plow. Removed dirt.rocks mud and bigger rocks from k member and the brace in question. Cleaned it up a little but the question at hand is does it look stock because none of the ones I’ve seen on web look like this one. Also saw some radiator core support damage while I was under it

Attachments

• 153A88F9-9A2E-4AC9-873A-F8DD8EB4B066.jpeg
    153A88F9-9A2E-4AC9-873A-F8DD8EB4B066.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 39826C0A-0E5C-41A0-BD6E-DAB52FFE229D.jpeg
    39826C0A-0E5C-41A0-BD6E-DAB52FFE229D.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 23

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Stifflers subframe connectors and spider brace are in my future plans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not positive, someone else can confirm or call me an idiot but I wouldn't think that the brace would be a good place for jackstands?

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
looks like the jackstands are on the frame rails behind the Vert brace, That's what I do.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
I am not positive, someone else can confirm or call me an idiot but I wouldn't think that the brace would be a good place for jackstands?
The front stands are on the frame rails up front and the ones in the back are on the rear axle. Just so I can get under this thing and clean it up and trace where the water pump may be leaking from. Watched you tube to get proper jack stand placement LOL.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
looks like the jackstands are on the frame rails behind the Vert brace, That's what I do.
That's correct. Been looking online and I Have found braces like this one on cars so I guess it was stock. Doing the front brakes today and cleaned the ABS ring on the front hubs so lets see if that helps ABS light.

bobz06

Reaction score
Guys I noticed when I pull into my driveway that I have a wicked drag and have to come in at an angle. I see this brace hanging under the car and was wondering what it was and if it was something the previous owner may have installed. Can’t find any internet pictures of a stock under carriage.
My car is a 1985 LTD, ex cop car, has that brace on the K member. You know, for heavy duty driving. Spoze it could also be used on the vert, which would make good sense.

ponyboy88

Reaction score
My 95 vert has the same brace and bottoms out here and there. Also prevents a kmember brace from being installed. If I ever go with a tubular kmember I plan on ditching it.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
My 95 vert has the same brace and bottoms out here and there. Also prevents a kmember brace from being installed. If I ever go with a tubular kmember I plan on ditching it.
I have some plans for this little gem. Just gotta get it back on the road and all the little issues resolved. It has potential for sure.

302hobronco

Reaction score
Not to jack the thread, but can that brace be used on a non convertable and would it be useful for stiffening up the chassis?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its not as good as sub frame connectors, at least weld in style and I was always told not to bother with the bolt in style which is what this is.

PinkieT

Reaction score
its not as good as sub frame connectors, at least weld in style and I was always told not to bother with the bolt in style which is what this is.

This brace ties the front end together, IIRC. They cut down on flex and cowl shake on the ragtops. The subframe connectors tie front and rear, different area of the car. My wife's convertible have both the factory front support and aftermarket subframe connectors. They work well together on her car. Bolt in stuff can be OK - the factory strut tower braces bolt in, so does the K frame. I agree that a subframe connector under the floor pan should be welded in, too long a distance between mounting points. Looks like yours is off a New Edge car? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-...AOSwmSdadKi1:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!44133!US!-1

95opal

Reaction score
If you plan on staying with the stock k-member ditch the factory x brace and look into a maximum mototorsports 4 point k member brace. If you have plans for a tubular k just wait and run the stifflers k member brace with there spider brace. Either one of those is leaps and bounds above the useless x brace.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Not to jack the thread, but can that brace be used on a non convertable and would it be useful for stiffening up the chassis?
I have limited experience in that area but some of the mustang guys up here where i am at have told me they do use them on coupes for that.

PinkieT

Reaction score
If you plan on staying with the stock k-member ditch the factory x brace and look into a maximum mototorsports 4 point k member brace. If you have plans for a tubular k just wait and run the stifflers k member brace with there spider brace. Either one of those is leaps and bounds above the useless x brace.

If useless, why did Ford put them on in the first place?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online