Are muffler hangers needed when replacing stock mufflers on 96 GT?

olympic

Reaction score
I have a 1996 GT Convertible that currently has the full stock exhaust on it. May eventually change out the exhaust but for now am looking at simply changing out the mufflers to something like a flowmaster 40 series (or one of the equivalents). My question concerns the muffler hangers that are welded to the back of the stock mufflers. Are they needed for the new mufflers? If so, my next concern is that the stock muffler bodies are about 17" long but the flowmaster 40 series bodies are about 13" long (19" overall when including inlet/outlet). So, these flowmaster mufflers are shorter and will sit just a bit forward of where the back of the stock muffler sits now. So, not sure that the stock muffler hangers if removed from the stock mufflers and tacked to the new would even line up in the correct spot.

I was thinking of cutting the stock muffler out and then clamping in the new using band butt clamps, but I'm pondering this hanger situation. Perhaps an alternative hanger that simply wraps around the pipe behind the muffler that goes up to the stock hanger might work, but would have to try and figure out what hanger would work best in that situation.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything about this. I'd appreciate any insight that can be provided on the best way to address the issue of swapping out the stock GT muffler for a shorter aftermarket one. Thanks!

sluggish94

Reaction score
Why not extend the tubing that connects to your mufflers?

If the stock muffler bodies are 17in long and the new aftermarket ones are 13in long, you could simply add 4in of tubing to each flow tube, and your aftermarket mufflers will sit at the exact same position as stock.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are they "NEEDED"? Well it will run with out it if that answers your question. With out it the only other point they will hang on will by in the middle by the cross over pipe and after time it will stretch and break.

I made my hangers by getting some round bar from the hardware store and bending it into place as the old ones were a little to ratty to cut off and weld on. You can do the same and make it as long as you need before the bend. If you don't have a welder the the ability or faculties to do this thenthis would be a VERY basic job for any exhaust shop and I would probably pay the price now before the other hanger snaps and your stuck replacing more parts.

07GtS197

Reaction score
My 02 gt doesn’t use hangers. The mufflers are clamped in and the tail pipe hangers are in the wrong spot so I couldn’t use them anyway. No issues here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Seems to me that the hangers on the flow master are about 13 14 inches
But you do want the mufflers tucked up under the car tight not hanging low to rattle or scrape

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The penalty for if it fails will be worst case your on the side off the road thinking that the bump you hit that ripped the exhaust off didn't look that big and wondering if you want to cram the ripped off piece in the trunk, best case you hear it scraping until you get home and can fix it. It would probably take 30 mins at an exhaust shop to have the hangers welded on

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Run to a few autoparts stores and check out the exhaust hardware section. Examine whats available before you go to work on the exhaust. This will give you a better understanding of whats available while you are under there.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
I appreciate all the discussion on this, but I wanted to make everyone aware I started this thread a couple years ago. I ended up buying short sections of piping to make up for the shorter mufflers. Just got new hangers that clamp around the pipes and bolt up where the stock ones bolted. Been running that way for a couple of years and works great.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
LOL. Well hopefully all the discussion will help someone else in the future.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I appreciate all the discussion on this, but I wanted to make everyone aware I started this thread a couple years ago. I ended up buying short sections of piping to make up for the shorter mufflers. Just got new hangers that clamp around the pipes and bolt up where the stock ones bolted. Been running that way for a couple of years and works great.

So what doea your mustang sound like? Any pics of the car? Lets try and get you to be more active here!

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
Even though the car is stock, sounds good with the mufflers. Could really use cams and headers, but it sounds good. I'll get some pics and post up the car. It's got 24k original miles, convertible, lowered on Eibach springs, running FR500 wheels 17x9 up front, 17x10.5 in the back with 315/35r17 wrapped in M/T Street Comp tires. Just replaced the 3.08 gears with 3.73s. I love the stance right now between the lowering springs and all the tire stuffed underneath. I joke that it's all show and no go. Pondering putting in a CDC styling bar. I don't really want to cut the interior panels so trying to find a good black set.

sluggish94

Reaction score
lol Not sure how it got ignored for so long and suddenly notice

That's gonna be on me right there. I was skimming through every section to see if I could add to any discussions and failed to read the post date.

OP
OP
O

olympic

Reaction score
That's gonna be on me right there. I was skimming through every section to see if I could add to any discussions and failed to read the post date.
No worries it resulted in some good discussion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online