ball joints

ricansoulja69

Reaction score
hello, I have an 03 mustang and the ball joints where shot. I changed them but for whatever reason I can tighten the nut all the way to install the cotter pin by hand. Is this ok? This my first mustang and I've done ball joints in other cars and never had a ball joint that I can tighten down by hand. Has anyone else encounter this?

Thank

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Either there is dirt somewhere along the mating surfaces, or its not tight enough. I am assuming the ball joint is fully pressed into the arm until it was seated. This is not a place for shortcuts.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Check and see if the nut is turning with the stud prevents nut from tightening down

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
You could keep turning and not realizing the the whole stud is turning and it's not tighten up

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The best way I found out to deal with this is to
Is to take a hammer and hit them in a little to seat inside the cone them start to tightening up the nut
They will tighten up once seated in the cone

OP
OP
R

ricansoulja69

Reaction score
thank you all for the great ideas, If I tighten it more it will go down below the cotter pin hole. I would have to get a lock nut to go down futher. I have to get a wheel alignment anyway and see what they tell me. I will let you guys know what they say. Thank you for your help. This is my 1st time owning a mustang so I'm learning. I used to be a chevy guy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online