Battery relocation issues to follow

1AestheticCobra

Reaction score
Hey guys so I’ve searched all over the web, but have yet to find a similar scenario as mine.. basically did a battery relocation+fuse box relocation. I’ve had nothing but issues. Drove it to get it inspected and as I sat there the voltage started dropping. Got to where the car eventually died from voltage dropping so low. Clearly wasn’t being charged by the alternator which is brand new along with the battery. Finally got it home after a few jumps then went to start it the next day and now not even the starter is engaging so I can’t even jump start it.. very very upsetting as I’ve put so much into this car just for the continuous trouble. I ran one 1g power wire from the battery to the original positive terminal that the alt wire, etc. ran to originally and then grounded the battery in two spots in the trunk with a 2 gauge wire. I plan on doing better grounds, but want to address the current issues as I can’t even drive/move the car now. Any help would be much appreciated. Really looking for a good starting point..

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The way i did mine to the trunk
starting with the ground
ground battery at trunk 1ag
ground starter with strap and ground engine to the original k member body a 1ag lug will replace the negative battery terminal . ground it to the k member

positive 2ag wire from trunk bat pos to the post on fuse box
you will need to replace the original pos terminal with a 2ag lug flatten it to fit the stud on the fuse box
i would also recommend putting a 200 a circuit breaker on the battery terminal in the trunk
leave the rest of the battery harness alone

if you plan on this relocation

Last edited:
OP
OP

1AestheticCobra

Reaction score
can you get a pic of the grounds and your connections?
Here’s what I have on hand. Ground to a bolt that I believe goes to the twilight and then another small wire going to a different section of the trunk and grounded. Grounded the original ground from the motor to the frame rail.

Attachments

• E289AA40-8A9C-4FFB-BAF3-BA41CABC4431.jpeg
    E289AA40-8A9C-4FFB-BAF3-BA41CABC4431.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 19
  • E54FF1D9-3CFF-4EAE-858E-51E03085C5C3.png
    E54FF1D9-3CFF-4EAE-858E-51E03085C5C3.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 19

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that 2nd pic kind of confuses me. Did you take a battery clamp and put it on a bolt that is in the car? I was questioning the grounds just because with electrical problems it is often a great place to start and you mentioned that you wanted to make them better.

OP
OP

1AestheticCobra

Reaction score
that 2nd pic kind of confuses me. Did you take a battery clamp and put it on a bolt that is in the car? I was questioning the grounds just because with electrical problems it is often a great place to start and you mentioned that you wanted to make them better.
Yeah so I basically attached the existing terminal that went to the negative to a battery post on the frame rail like this guy did in his video.

Attachments

• 444C6057-AB2D-4216-90A9-AC6BFB931E56.jpeg
    444C6057-AB2D-4216-90A9-AC6BFB931E56.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 15

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would recommend running a dedicated ground from the battery up to the engine block. Then a different point on the engine to the frame rail. And I like to see a power wire from the battery straight to the starter, then go from the starter up to the fuse box. Alternator to the fuse box.

OP
OP

1AestheticCobra

Reaction score
I would recommend running a dedicated ground from the battery up to the engine block. Then a different point on the engine to the frame rail. And I like to see a power wire from the battery straight to the starter, then go from the starter up to the fuse box. Alternator to the fuse box.
This would completely change my setup, but may have to give it a go. Any temporary recommendations for at least getting the start to engage? It doesn’t even click and I need to at least get the car started so I can get it up into the garage.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
This would completely change my setup, but may have to give it a go. Any temporary recommendations for at least getting the start to engage? It doesn’t even click and I need to at least get the car started so I can get it up into the garage.
First thing to do is check voltage at the starter. And see what it does when you hit the key. You might want to go ahead and run a temporary ground from the battery to the block. Some 4ga amp wire will work for a temporary setup.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am still not sure if I am seeing it right as it looks like you took the battery terminal off and clamped it around the bolt in the chassis? If that is the case I don't think that will be that great of a ground. Your ground connection is ALL about how much of the wire you can get to touch the chassis. When you take a battery terminal and put it on a battery there is a good area between the two flat surfaces to make contact but when you clamp that terminal on a threaded bolt the threading is going to reduce how much of the two are touching. Check to see if your ground wires and that connection is hot next time and I would not be surprised if they are warmer than you would think because of the resistance between them.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
just saying
you may want to install a battery box and jell type battery with a acid protection pad
i have seen acid eat through the trunk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea that is an entirely different problem to address. A sealed/agm battery or else a box with a vent would be a very good idea.

OP
OP

1AestheticCobra

Reaction score
Yeah at this point I just really need to be able to start and drive this thing and then I can focus on cleaning up the setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online