Battery/starter/alternator/ignition?

Katstang

Reaction score
Hi, i left my 98 gt at my grandma's house for about 2 months, just came back to get it and it had a dead battery, so I thought. The battery is 6 months old, tried to jump start it, didn't work, found out the clamp to battery negative was broken all the way thru, replaced it, didn't work, charged battery overnight, didn't work. When I parked it here it started just fine, now no matter what, it acts like the battery is just dead. Just clicks repetitively, for a second than nothing. But before it drains or whatever, lights, radio, damn alarm, ECT all seem to work fine. What's the next thing I should look at? Starter? Ignition? Something else?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
remove the battery and take it to where you got it and tell them you need it charged and tested. Leave it with them for a few hours and have them test it when you get back. I say this because I have seen batteries that come right off the charger and test as ok, but then after sitting for a few hours with nothing connected the voltage will start to dip because the battery is just on the at good/bad line. If you had the mach/premium amps in the car they are known for killing batteries.

95opal

Reaction score
If the battery is good and the grounds sre good its likely the starter.

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
remove the battery and take it to where you got it and tell them you need it charged and tested. Leave it with them for a few hours and have them test it when you get back. I say this because I have seen batteries that come right off the charger and test as ok, but then after sitting for a few hours with nothing connected the voltage will start to dip because the battery is just on the at good/bad line. If you had the mach/premium amps in the car they are known for killing batteries.
I have a after market dvd stereo in it with my own wires bypassing the amp straight to speakers and I took the battery straight off the charger this morning over to try to start the car immediately and it acted like the thing was beyond dead.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a after market dvd stereo in it with my own wires bypassing the amp straight to speakers and I took the battery straight off the charger this morning over to try to start the car immediately and it acted like the thing was beyond dead.
did you disconnect the amp under the radio? If not it is still connected to the power/ground and can still drain the battery.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can fix(and bill for it if you are in that field) a lot of things with technical taps and it isn't uncommon to find marks from them on newly rebuilt starters.

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got it started last night by taking the battery out of my grandma's car and putting it in mine, started it up and put my battery all charged up back in. So far it still was starting after that. I'm about to go out this morning and see if it will still start or not.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you better not have killed grandma's battery!? I could only imagine the beating that I would get from a wooden spoon today if she were still here and I told her that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that would be all I would need to be going around with my bald head bruised. Knowing my luck they would end up lookin like a mushroom stamps that would last a week....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.