Black Chrome

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody needs to take my advice.... But all I know is that my job is to clean cars, and I clean of alot of them and all I can say is that chrome is very soft and will scratch very easily win Terry cloth. Honestly, Terry cloth with cause swirl marks and marring on most surfaces.

..... But like I said, nobody needs to take my advice.... I just have the cleanest car on SN95forums.com

lrall

Reaction score
I think by 'scratch' handz means it will detract from a 100% pure and clean chrome surface. Just like your awsum terry towel wont 'scratch' your paint. Its called DETAILING, like getting the surface back to perfect. And please paul, stick to powdercoating shit on your engine that isnt in your mustang. Paul, stick to engines and the rougher, broader points of mustangs and Handz can stay with the detailing and finer points of a car. Then we can have this forum have the best of both worlds, savvy? I'm so sick of paul trying to be the bigger badder guy, shut the hell up and take it to PM if you have something negative to say.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lrall pretty much gets what i am saying VERY well.

a scratch doesnt have to be a big huge mark that deep into metal. Just the slightest piece of sand on a towel can create hundreds of small scratches everywhere that it touches.

A better way to put it is that Chrome "Swirls" very easy. Too much pretty and to much Terry cloth towel with dull and swirl the paint.

Here is a pic of a good example of terry cloth towel induced Marring... The same effect will happen on chrome. The same effect will also happen on any surface. Even bare metal can swirl like this.

IMG_1941Small.jpg

96 VERT

Reaction score
Paul said:
96 VERT said:
i thought his seats were sparco, am i mistaken his car for another?

First, it's only seat, not seats. And it's a Sparco Fighter, which isn't FIA anyway. So yes, it's a fake race seat. :grin:

and i also thought this was a thread about cleaning wheels, not stick measuring, so why dont you be a mod and get this thread back on topic.

I was merely pointing out incorrect information, that's all. Chrome is a lot of things, but soft ain't one of 'em. LOL

Paul.

Well they are still sparco, and they look bad-A in my book.

Ashton.

98Viperblue

Reaction score
Handz I have some minor scratches on my black chrome rims like that. Is there any way I can go about getting them out? thanks bro

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
98Viperblue said:
Handz I have some minor scratches on my black chrome rims like that. Is there any way I can go about getting them out? thanks bro

Those scratches are Caused by you washing/Drying the wheels with a wash media that is WAY too abrasive.

There is No real way to get ride of all the scratches on the chrome. You need to start using MF towels to clean the black chrome before it starts getting Worse. Use only MF when cleaning the chrome.

You can try using a Mothers Powercone and some Chrome polish to try and fix some of the scratches. It will make it look ALOT better, but the scratches will still show under the HUGE lights i use.

N8Legarda

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
..... But like I said, nobody needs to take my advice.... I just have the cleanest car on SN95forums.com
Usually id say your a cocky prick, but i mean its true hahahaha

jojo22

Reaction score
^^^ For now!!^^

I just spent 3 hours scrubbing interior panels and seats with a toothbrush to get rid of finger oil in the crevices and "design imprint" that dad never cleaned!!

Few more months and I'll be as clean as I want.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
chrome is a multi-step dipping process including nickel, acid dips, and pure water. It corodes just as any other metal or metal-plating, but it is much more resistant to it, and it corrodes clear.

Black chrome goes through roughly the same process as Nickel-Chrome (aposed to matte and satin chrome) but the final product has a tinted color. It is less durable than decorative chrome and has a much stronger solar absorbance, thus it is most commonly used in solar pannels.

ive had my centerline chromes on my car 24/7/365 since senior year of high school. I use soft cloths on it, simply because thats all I own. Chrome is a very durrable substance, hense the fact that 18 wheeler trucks use it so much. Do you think a truck that sees 275,000 miles a year would use something that is "soft" and "delicate?"

no. they use it because it is strong, and resiliant. Why do you think the first thing a trucker does to his truck is spend $10,000.00 to chrome the power unit? so they never have to worry about rusted out exhaust stacks, rusted out front bumper, headlights falling out of their sockets, etc. etc. etc.

use a soft cloth on your chrome. not because chrome is a sissy substance that needs babied and its "soft" but because its good practise.

dont buy black chrome wheels unless you want to replace them in 5 years or so. decorative chrome will last between 7-10 years.

edit: they use chrome on Diesel cylinder liners and jet engine components for ****'s sake... lol.

G

GREG@SN95

Chrome is not soft, its is very hard and durable just like paul and Chris have said... Aluminum is soft, and terry cloth won't hurt a polished finish on aluminum... A terry cloth won't hurt a chrome finish unless you're scrubbing dirt and brake dust into the chrome, in which case the softest microfiber will also leave fine scratches...

Just clean chrome well and use a chrome polish on them...

Everyone that wants to continue to piss and moan can continue via PM...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online