Original color of convertible top rear trim

GTamas

Reaction score
Car is black, but these trims are faded gray. I guess they were black back in the days and got faded over the years. Thinking about restoring to original shine. Was it a glossy or matte black? Shall I paint it, or just need a new clear coat?
20230722_203356.jpg

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ve never used it but I’ve seen videos of people using a heat gun on black trim to bring it back.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Snorky, the paint looks great! Did you use something for primer?

Snorky

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Snorky, the paint looks great! Did you use something for primer?
I just scuffed it with red scotch bright,washed it with soap and water,blew it off. Wiped it with alcohol, and laid the paint.

Essentially the paint that's down is the primer. And scuffing the original paint opens up the surface matrix and allows the new paint something to bite onto.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Thanks, I will do the same. I just can't find SEM paint locally. I'll use some acrylic semi gloss paint.

Snorky

Reaction score
Thanks, I will do the same. I just can't find SEM paint locally. I'll use some acrylic semi gloss paint.
I did Amazon prime for mine. Easy peasy.. not that I like supporting Amazon lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also have them order it at oriely's autoparts store. They do not stock it but they can get it.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm in Europe and it would be expensive to import it.
Usually if I order parts from the US, it costs 2x the price when I add freight costs and taxes.

For paint I will just stick with what is available here. :⁠-⁠)

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Done it as Snorky recommended, just with some standard semigloss acrylic paint.
Now I just need to finish stapling the convertible top during the weekend, then I can reinstall these trims and see how it looks on the car. :⁠-⁠)
20230727_140323.jpg
20230727_140343.jpg

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Need to do the same. Does that trim remove easily without having to undo the top in anyway? Mine are faded with some rust spots, so need to sand and hit with SEM trim black.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Need to do the same. Does that trim remove easily without having to undo the top in anyway? Mine are faded with some rust spots, so need to sand and hit with SEM trim black.
The screws on the side are a pita, but the ones in the back are easy. Look in this thread:
You don't need to remove the top, but you might have to remove the interior side trim panels to get to the screws on the sides.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Wow, that looks fantastic! Mine is kind of faded also.

Glad to hear they can be removed without undoing the top.

My problem is my right rear quarter panel has been re-painted at some point. The paint wicked up to touch the trim piece at some point, and then chipped away. Trim should have been removed for painting. Now it will have to be removed to sand and re-paint the affected area.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Removal is easy.

Pop the trunk. 7 screws for the center trim panel accessed under the edge of the raised trunk lid.

Lower the top down. There is one screw on the inside curve on the "hockey stick". Look inside from where the top is and you will see that 1 screw here
1695139288812.png

Drop the 1/4 window down. Push the inner felt belt down and you'll see two screws there. You can get them out with a phillips by carefully pushing the felt strip down. You don't need to pull the interior quarter panels to access them. However, if they are really tight, you may need to in order to get a better grip on the screwhead with your screwdriver.
1695139326712.png

The side trim slips into the center trim from each edge. Once unscrewed, you can lift the entire thing up as one part, or just pull the "hockey sticks" out of the rear trim and take them off separately.

Also, Ford put a small bit of clear "tape" on the trim right at the corners of the top. I removed this and wondered what it was for but now I see that it's an area where the top chafes a bit when lowered. I do noticed a little paint rubbing on the top here. Nothing bad, but i'm looking for a equivalent strip to reinstall here

1695139231952.png

I actually purchased a different set of trim off ebay. $100 for all three parts. That way i could take my time in prep and paint and not have to rush since the top needs to stay down until you get the trim back on. I saved my original trim just in case the paint doesn't hold up. In that case, i'll send the trim to a guy I know who can powdercoat it for me.

maillemaker

Reaction score
I have found numerous places now where Ford put some kind of anti-squeak tape in strategic places. Thanks for the info on the trim removal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online