Boost on high mileage car....

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Alright so I picked up my 72mm today and first thing the old man did was freak the **** out telling me I'm gonna blow my shit up.. I told him that I'm only aiming for 400whp right now but he wasn't having any of it lol. So I'm creating this thread so people can tell me yay or nay on a higher mileage lower end, and then pass the info I get onto the old man.

My car has 145k on the clock. Engine runs strong as an ox, only issue is a leaky front main which will be getting replaced before I start driving it again. It's run on synthetic and appears to have always been. When I had the heads off everything was clean. Carbon build up on the pistons, but that's to be expected. I cleaned them up and reassembled. Everything looked sound as could be.... I'm adding a 72mm to it and shooting for 400whp until I get a beefier lower end. That's in the safe range... Someone(s) please tell me it's a reasonable thing to do on a solid running motor. Literally with the exception of blowing the spark plug (stupid threads...) I've had zero motor issues and it runs like a scalded ape. Any input would be great before I go any further with this.

And yes.... I'm well aware that adding FI to ANY motor is an eventual death sentence. Thanks fellas

hondarocks61

Reaction score
doesn't [MENTION=18400]1bad9d5[/MENTION] have 175k on his boosted 302??

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My car isnt crazy, but IIRC the truck had higher mileage?
Lots of people do it.

Might not hurt to give the engine a freshen up.

Look at it this way, if and when you blow shit up; fix it and build it better :)

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks guys I wonder how Mikes 5.0 compares to my 4.6 in terms of lower end power handling... I know shit about 5.0's. Literally. I know nothing lol. It'll be good to have his input on the matter

Richard that's what I'm saying man! I told him that I just wanna have some fun till it blows and he got all puffy and told me that it's going to cost me far more to rebuild it later on after I blow it up..... He doesn't seem to remember I have zero desire to re use my block hahaha

1bad9d5

Reaction score
yes, yes I have 175k on my 302 =] .. turbo was put on with 173.5k and when I did the install the car sounded so f'in healthy like it never has before... I put 60# injectors (who needs mpg? lol)

if the install is done right, and the car is tuned the way it should be, than 145k wont be an issue... my dad had 30k on his 4.6 07 Shelby gt motor and blew it when he went down Englishtown after having a 2.3L whipple added... but they messed up something that only became a ticking time bomb... don't worry about the miles on the car (as u know it can blow a brand new motor) make sure u trust your tuner and that he takes care of everything correctly.. fuel, timing, all of that and your gonna be fine, especially if your building the bottom

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I told him that I just wanna have some fun till it blows and he got all puffy and told me that it's going to cost me far more to rebuild it later on after I blow it up..... He doesn't seem to remember I have zero desire to re use my block hahaha

idk how much a 4.6 block cost but a used low mileage 5.0 block is cheap as hell so im not really worried too much but my car isn't going to blow for a while as long as im not a dumb pos with my car (which I wont be) lol

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
yes, yes I have 175k on my 302 =] .. turbo was put on with 173.5k and when I did the install the car sounded so f'in healthy like it never has before... I put 60# injectors (who needs mpg? lol)

if the install is done right, and the car is tuned the way it should be, than 145k wont be an issue... my dad had 30k on his 4.6 07 Shelby gt motor and blew it when he went down Englishtown after having a 2.3L whipple added... but they messed up something that only became a ticking time bomb... don't worry about the miles on the car (as u know it can blow a brand new motor) make sure u trust your tuner and that he takes care of everything correctly.. fuel, timing, all of that and your gonna be fine, especially if your building the bottom

idk how much a 4.6 block cost but a used low mileage 5.0 block is cheap as hell so im not really worried too much but my car isn't going to blow for a while as long as im not a dumb pos with my car (which I wont be) lol

These are the exact facts I need to hear! I tried telling him it's all in the tune lol but I think he had a bad day at work so idk.

Great info tho Mike. My car runs like a champ too man. It really does. I think it'll be just fine too. And 175k lol damn dude!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

1bad9d5

Reaction score
These are the exact facts I need to hear! I tried telling him it's all in the tune lol but I think he had a bad day at work so idk.

Great info tho Mike. My car runs like a champ too man. It really does. I think it'll be just fine too. And 175k lol damn dude!

hey no problem man, nice to see me actually putting some info in to help somebody as supposed to me asking the questions HAHA
but yea man I bought the car in march of 2012 with 157k so shes been taken care of the last 2 years.. but this year shes getting about a 4-5k mile drive to texas for a terlingua event.... ill probably have 185-190k by the end of 2014 haha =] but I love it, I have a stupid exhaust leak right now but im getting that fixed shortly otherwise the car is awesome

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
p6hTbRol.jpg

slow90coupe

Reaction score
As long as it has good compression, you should be fine. My car has 133,000 miles on it and has never had the valve covers off and it's holding up fine with boost (Knock on wood).

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
You guys are badass. I'll definitely get it compression checked. As far as I know that's not expensive right?

I've heard these mod motors run forever if their taken care of...

slow90coupe

Reaction score
You guys are badass. I'll definitely get it compression checked. As far as I know that's not expensive right?

I've heard these mod motors run forever if their taken care of...

It shouldn't be expensive at all. The car that my Vortech came off of was boosted at 14lbs for 4 years and over 50,000 miles and is now turboed at 140,000 miles and it is still running strong as hell. And it sees boost almost every time it takes off. Lol. Some cars are just stronger than others I guess.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This is true ^^

Taxi's start to fail at 280,000miles with constant electrical issues but for the ones still going with less problems they say the timing chain guides have to be replaced around 300,000miles and they keep going

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man! How could I forget!!!!
My old 98 f-150! The 4.6 had 260k km and it was boosted (light boost, ran off fuel management system, no tune). It still ran very health! No problems with it! It started -40 weather no problem. It was a great truck!

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
hey no problem man, nice to see me actually putting some info in to help somebody as supposed to me asking the questions HAHA
but yea man I bought the car in march of 2012 with 157k so shes been taken care of the last 2 years.. but this year shes getting about a 4-5k mile drive to texas for a terlingua event.... ill probably have 185-190k by the end of 2014 haha =] but I love it, I have a stupid exhaust leak right now but im getting that fixed shortly otherwise the car is awesome

Shoot for 200k man you've got a long year ahead of you!! But I know how you feel lol I always feel like I ask too many questions and never answer any. It's a great feeling! I'm 21 and still have to somewhat get my parents on board with my ideas lol.. Guess you're never too old for the parents to ***** about what you do with your money. So I showed my mom that post and she acted like it made sense to her, when really I know it didn't lol. My old man is gonna be like "fine do whatever the **** you want. Don't come crying to me when you blow it up" haha but whatever he'll get in the driver seat and the attitude will go away.

As for your exhaust leak.... Those suck. Where's it at?

It shouldn't be expensive at all. The car that my Vortech came off of was boosted at 14lbs for 4 years and over 50,000 miles and is now turboed at 140,000 miles and it is still running strong as hell. And it sees boost almost every time it takes off. Lol. Some cars are just stronger than others I guess.

No kidding. I have to admit these modular motors seem to be very durable little engines. My 3400 GM V6 is the same way. Replaced the gaskets on it and drained the dexcool and here it is at 193k and still running strong. Not boosted but you can just tell it's a tough engine. Same thing with my mustang. I've accidentally run it way beyond redline because of forgetting to turn on rev limiter (and not paying attention at the same time) and all it did was say "hey asshole.. that's enough" and kept on going. I've blown half the car apart, but not the engine. Guess I should knock on wood too lol

This is true ^^

Taxi's start to fail at 280,000miles with constant electrical issues but for the ones still going with less problems they say the timing chain guides have to be replaced around 300,000miles and they keep going

You know it's funny I read on another forum something about older taxi's literally having almost 500k on them. Apparently the mod design is just incredible. Granite my miles are probably just a tad harder than taxis (tho not all taxis I realize..) but still. Good to hear that. My lower end will either be replaced or rebuild long before 280k lol but definitely good to know

Oh man! How could I forget!!!!
My old 98 f-150! The 4.6 had 260k km and it was boosted (light boost, ran off fuel management system, no tune). It still ran very health! No problems with it! It started -40 weather no problem. It was a great truck!

Another solid vouch for the durability of the modular... That F150 was badass btw man. I remember when you posted that thing up I was like damn I have no cars with boost and Richard over here has 2 haha

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Shoot for 200k man you've got a long year ahead of you!! But I know how you feel lol I always feel like I ask too many questions and never answer any. It's a great feeling! I'm 21 and still have to somewhat get my parents on board with my ideas lol.. Guess you're never too old for the parents to ***** about what you do with your money. So I showed my mom that post and she acted like it made sense to her, when really I know it didn't lol. My old man is gonna be like "fine do whatever the **** you want. Don't come crying to me when you blow it up" haha but whatever he'll get in the driver seat and the attitude will go away.

As for your exhaust leak.... Those suck. Where's it at?

haha sh!t man im only 22 not much older... ill be 23 in the summer.. my mom knew it was coming.. the boxes of all the turbo stuff were in my garage for a year lol... I tried to say hey ma im selling the turbo as I was packing it up in my car to take it to my guy but she wasn't buying sh!t haha and my dad wasn't told until the build was close to done, too late... he wasn't thrilled just hoped I knew what I was doing..

and its close to the motor... either the down pipe from the turbo or maybe a header not 100% sure though.... it sounds god awful that's what pisses me off... and I refuse to spool with it like that... car hasn't left the garage in 2 1/2 months lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Funny as I am about to order a supercharger and I know my dad thinks that supercharger = blown engine as well. It depends on how you drive it and if your on it all the time yes you might hurt it. I am closer to 40 then I am 30 and just don't drive that fast/hard now after a couple of tickets and a accident to teach me too slow down so I am not worried about the motor, nor his opinion on it. I think because he/mom use to own it he still cares about it or something idunno....

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Compression test and leak down test, then go from there. Also, hows your transmission?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online