Broken Door Handle Lock Rod. Please Help!

Taydan

Reaction score
Hey all-

I recently purchased my first Ford Mustang on Sunday the 15th. It is a 2001 V6.

Going into the purchase I noticed the locks were not working, and was able to negotiate the price down accordingly as I knew I could fix it. However, upon my attempts today to unlatch the driver side door handle lock rod in the door frame from the power lock actuator, I unfortunately broke the plastic bit that was connecting the door handle to the rod which allowed the car to be opened when pulled. I have tried everything to join the two back together, super glue, gorilla tape, nothing is working. Attached are pictures that visualize my problem.

Any help to get this fixed would be greatly appreciated as I currently have to enter the car from the passenger side.

Attachments

• IMG_4619.jpg
    IMG_4619.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 11

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Forget adhesives. What you'd need for a good fix (and even then it might not be permanent) is to plastic-weld it back together and maybe add in the mix a small sheet of wire mesh for reinforcement. If all goes well, it may even be a stronger joint than OEM ever was. Trick is to know what type of plastic formulation it is first and then match the welding rod material with it exactly.

OP
OP
T

Taydan

Reaction score
Forget adhesives. What you'd need for a good fix (and even then it might not be permanent) is to plastic-weld it back together and maybe add in the mix a small sheet of wire mesh for reinforcement. If all goes well, it may even be a stronger joint than OEM ever was. Trick is to know what type of plastic formulation it is first and then match the welding rod material with it exactly.
thanks for the reply, I found a replacement pre painted door handle on American muscle for only $27 with shipping so I think its easier to just wait for it arrive than try to revive this current handle.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, I found a replacement pre painted door handle on American muscle for only $27 with shipping so I think its easier to just wait for it arrive than try to revive this current handle.
Yea, that's best. Good thing they have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online