burning oil issues

mikewashere

Reaction score
Hi guys I just got my 95 gt on the road yesterday I'm having 2 issues with it currently, one being I have a very prominent burning oil smell from the engine as well as a cloud of smoke at idle mostly at red lights. The previous owner put on a SVO intake I'm not 100% if the PVC routing is correct, behind the intake the PVC routing is soaked in oil...... I changed the PVC with one that matched up with what was in there but still same issues.

Also when the engine is warm when I shut it off for a short time and go back it wants to die if I don't get it going. I'm thinking fuel related, the vehicle has been sitting for about 4 months with nearly no gas as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
OK so its leaking onto the left upper cat for sure I can see it dripping onto it and onto the front sway bar. Any ideas guys????

RichV

Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets and intake gasket can be troublesome for oil leaks. Of course if you're getting blow by due to rings, it may be a different issue.

Also make sure you have a line from the oil cap neck to the intake before the t/b. Have you looked at plugs? Any oil on the plugs?

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
Thanks for your response! I did the plugs just las week all were fine. Very small amount of oil on the threads nothing major. I'm just really hoping it's not a rear main seal or something major that's going to put it off for a while

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
It only starts to smell the most at higher rpm. Say anything around 3500+ I'm usually shifting around 2000-2500 so it's not as noticeable.

When I went to the parts store to replace the PCV they gave me this:

ev111_6317.jpg

however what was in the motor was this style:

31LZYeiASaL._AC_UL320_SR166,320_.jpg

So I matched it up with one in the store that looked the same, still having the same issues. Also the routing on this SVO intake manifolds PCV is same as this photo, but instead of going into the manifold like in the far left of this photo its just plugged with a bolt for some reason?

r246qc.jpg

I hope some of this information is helpful to find whatever is causing this issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that one should still work. the small piece in the middle is to use as a plug if you only need one output

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
ok well I'm leaning more toward a gasket leak then. Maybe a rear main seal leak worst case, anyone have any obvious symptoms of a rear main leak on these? Would I have a slippy clutch? I'll have it up in the air on a hoist this week to get a better idea whats going on.

Thanks for the input guys

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
can anyone suggest the most common oil leaks from the rear engine on these vehicles?

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Check the back of the intake and valve covers. Aluminum intakes can be a PITA to seal properly.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online