California Carb CAI question

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
165 or 185cc heads?? Which one?

Just depends on how much power you wanna build. Heads, cam, and intake should all be chosen to match each other’s rpm range.

You’d wanna check with afr to see which heads are carb approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Both of those are CARB approved. Anything larger that 185cc are for non-emission controlled vehicles. Per their website. Word.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Both of those are CARB approved. Anything larger that 185cc are for non-emission controlled vehicles. Per their website. Word.

Get ya a set of the 185’s, a decent cam specced by [mention]Ed Curtis [/mention] himself, and a good matching intake and you’ll have a beast of a daily driver.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who is Ed Curtis?

Googled it, never mind. Pricey!

Last edited:

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get ya a set of the 185’s, a decent cam specced by [mention]Ed Curtis [/mention] himself, and a good matching intake and you’ll have a beast of a daily driver.

By intake, are you referring to the manifold or a CAI?

Wmac

Reaction score
Daryl

Note that the 185 heads are "not compatible with oem pistons"

Flycutting may be required and that can be expensive with stock pistons.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmm, that’s a definite hurdle. I’m really just hoping to slap on some top end go-fast parts and call it done! If I do all that other stuff, I may as well buy a turnkey engine. Probably comparable in price in the long run.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely under consideration but my 6th sense warns me they’re not worth the bang-for-buck. Little too watered down?? I’ll have to research them further and get some real world feedback. Definitely not disqualifying them though

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 165’s by afr will do what your wanting to do. Pair them up with a nice custom grind cam and a solidly built intake and you can make some good power. Eventually slap a power adder back on it with that setup and truly make some power and still be commie.......I mean Cali legal!!!! [emoji6]

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly ttocs, I’m not sure. I just recall past uses of Edelbrock products that didn’t deliver. To me, they had only mild gains vs stock so the bang-for-buck was disappointing.

Please keep in mind that was many years ago and hopefully Edelbrock has upped their game.
I would not be opposed to revisiting them if the gains are now there. So.... enlighten me, good sir!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 165’s by afr will do what your wanting to do. Pair them up with a nice custom grind cam and a solidly built intake and you can make some good power. Eventually slap a power adder back on it with that setup and truly make some power and still be commie.......I mean Cali legal!!!! [emoji6]

Definitely keep that in mind, evil. Thx! My stumbling point is: I can easily enough contact AFR and/or order their 165 heads. Hell, I can go pick them up in person; only an hour away! But the cam and intake part of the equation I know NOTHING about. If I contact this Ed Curtis guy and tell him the heads I’m getting can he recommend an intake? Or will I already have to have the intake sorted and provide that info along with the heads info so he can then determine and grind me a cam?

So confusing! All this probably seems elementary to you but like I said I don’t know SQUAT about cam lobes, lifts, durations, etc.... so I’m learning!

Thanks!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Edelbrock makes decent heads but without a lot of port/polish work and custom valve jobs they’re just not on the same level as trickflow and afr. The Eddie heads are a decent improvement over stock but not a huge leap by any means. They’ve never been a major player in heads in our cars and they never really claimed to be. They’re more of the moderate gains with moderate pricing for the everyday kind of guy company. They keep it safe and simple.

Afr and tf build heads specifically for those who are looking to do more serious builds. That’s not to say that they’re not for the average build though. They offer a much larger range of heads and products to cover all scenarios.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely keep that in mind, evil. Thx! My stumbling point is: I can easily enough contact AFR and/or order their 165 heads. Hell, I can go pick them up in person; only an hour away! But the cam and intake part of the equation I know NOTHING about. If I contact this Ed Curtis guy and tell him the heads I’m getting can he recommend an intake? Or will I already have to have the intake sorted and provide that info along with the heads info so he can then determine and grind me a cam?

So confusing! All this probably seems elementary to you but like I said I don’t know SQUAT about cam lobes, lifts, durations, etc.... so I’m learning!

Thanks!

Call Ed first. He’ll spec the cam accordingly to what your wanting to do with the car. Then you find the intake manifold that best compliments the rpm range of the cam.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Edelbrock makes decent heads but without a lot of port/polish work and custom valve jobs they’re just not on the same level as trickflow and afr. The Eddie heads are a decent improvement over stock but not a huge leap by any means. They’ve never been a major player in heads in our cars and they never really claimed to be. They’re more of the moderate gains with moderate pricing for the everyday kind of guy company. They keep it safe and simple.

Afr and tf build heads specifically for those who are looking to do more serious builds. That’s not to say that they’re not for the average build though. They offer a much larger range of heads and products to cover all scenarios.

Exactly what I thought, Evil. I’ll now compare the AFR vs Trick Flow (CA legal) heads and see if something grabs my attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online