cam question

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
im looking into vt stage II cams and was wondering if i could tune the engine with the sct-xcalibrator. Also since i have an auto id need a stall converter but cant find a good place to find them, anyone know of a good stall im looking for a 2400

96sohc

Reaction score
EDGE Racing has been recommended to me on several occasions.
What do you mean "tune" your car with an Xcal2? It'd be best to have the car on a dyno and tuned that way.

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Those are some really aggressive cams with a long duration and tight lobe separation, dyno tune is a must unless you're REALLY confident in your abilities. Great cams, BTW

Boomer!

Reaction score
Go no less that a 3200, V/T's are good but custom is the only way to go, unless you choose to be just as fast as everyone else.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Yes you need a XCT2 tuner or equivalent Any dealer can send you the tuner with mail tines for your set-up ,but especially with the VT2 they are not gonna be good enough..And yes you MUST get a dyno tune. Also you MUST upgrade your valve springs .

Not really sure about "being as fast as everyone else" .

VT2s are gonna make your car sound like and old muscle car when tuned properly. Assuming you have PI heads or equivalent. Check my sig.

If you do decide to go with a XCT2 ,I highly recommend Don @ Lasota Racing. He is a great guy with great support after the purchase. A lot of guys I know have been happy with him.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i have pi h/c/i in my basement and im building it up over the summer, and as of now im looking into vt stage II cams, as for the valve springs im thinking comp cams, but american muscle has a good deal on patriot performance valve springs with all the retainers, what would you guys recommend, also how much does a tune usually cost?

Boomer!

Reaction score
Fryrice said:
Yes you need a XCT2 tuner or equivalent Any dealer can send you the tuner with mail tines for your set-up ,but especially with the VT2 they are not gonna be good enough..And yes you MUST get a dyno tune. Also you MUST upgrade your valve springs .

Not really sure about "being as fast as everyone else" .

VT2s are gonna make your car sound like and old muscle car when tuned properly. Assuming you have PI heads or equivalent. Check my sig.

If you do decide to go with a XCT2 ,I highly recommend Don @ Lasota Racing. He is a great guy with great support after the purchase. A lot of guys I know have been happy with him.

I think you misread what I was getting at, you will not make anymore power than anyone if you run the same cam or package of parts. Unless you running a class limited to parts to make it a drivers race, why run a generic grind ? Yes they work great, but a custom tailored camshaft will make more.

I also have heard good things about Lasota Racing !!!!!!

Fryrice

Reaction score
I see what your sayin ,but thats not always the case. With more radical cam profiles, the results are only as good as the tune/tuner. You and I can have the exact set-up but make different numbers. The biggest advantage to custom grinds is deciding where your max power comes in. So then it comes down to what type of race we are talkin about. Maybe your a 4wd guy and max HP isn't important ,so you may want a low TQ grind. Thats something you have to do planning with.

"Generic" VT2 n/a's make all the torque down low and HP up high. So in a 1/4 mile race or high speed race,thats what you want. The TQ digs you off the line to gain momentum and the the HP carries you out. Theres no perfect cam profile. So matter what kinda cam profile you have your gonna lose something somewhere.

Its all about usage ,application and preference. If your never gonna spin the rpm's high,then VT2s probably aint for you.

Big Johnson ,go with Comp springs.They are tried and true in this setup. A good dyno tune can run you $200 an hour maybe less. It usually takes about an hour with a good tuner guy.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
you guys are helping alot thanks, i appreciate it, a few more questions though
1. where can i get a good stall converter
2. should i have my heads Ported and polished with this setup (will i see bigger gains)? in the future i might be running a supercharger but havent fully thought about it yet

Boomer!

Reaction score
BigJohnson4.6GT said:
you guys are helping alot thanks, i appreciate it, a few more questions though
1. where can i get a good stall converter
2. should i have my heads Ported and polished with this setup (will i see bigger gains)? in the future i might be running a supercharger but havent fully thought about it yet
If you are planning to run a blower later why buy a N/A cam now, unless you have the cash to throw around for another set. Porting heads would be a good idea, again a generic port job will net certain gains. Choosing a cam , intake ,stall , and many other items you are planning to purchase are not something you want to do in "stages" 1 or 2 or 3. Refering to stages is making a mustang sound like a honda, there are far to many variables to say do this and that. You should find a final overall plan for a power goal, buy the pieces that will work best rather than doing it twice.

Circle D is a great place to get a converter, I believe Chris is one of the best.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Boomer! said:
If you are planning to run a blower later why buy a N/A cam now, unless you have the cash to throw around for another set.

I agree with Boomer on getting blower cams now.

But honestly,if your gonna add boost to the stock bottom end ,I would save my money as far as doing headwork. Yeah ,you would gain some more HP ,but you can run enough boost out of the blower to push the stock internals .

Also,if you plan on running a blower ,another option is to keep your NPI heads and add a blower to that combo. But the VTs wont work in the NPI heads. And VTs sound goooood O0

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
VT n/a cams aren't good for blower applications, too tight an LSA, basically too much overlap and it bleeds off boost. Their blower cams are very good and the comp cams work well with blowers too.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Thats what we were sayin. VT has a lot less instances of PTV problems versus Comps.

Boomer!

Reaction score
Fryrice said:
Thats what we were sayin. VT has a lot less instances of PTV problems versus Comps.
This also has to do with people being to lazy to degree their cams, with a wider LSA using V/T specs there is a big difference in power. Again not to get bashed I like V/T's grinds but see room for improvement.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Naw your right Boomer.I tell you another thing about VT .There customer service is always on point. Scott is a great guy. He will talke to you about anything even if your not buyin their product.

I had another guy askin me to compare VT cams against another brand. I cant remember the brand right now. Anyways,he was sayin that their cams made more power than VT's etc etc. I said "maybe they do" ,but I had heard about bad customer service experiences from other guys.

I guess my point is,I dont care if Brand A makes more than Brand B. If the "after the sale" support isn't there ,I will go with Brand B. Cuz HP dont mean anything is it dont work,lol.

As far as degreeing ,probably 98% of VT customers dont degree their cams and they have no problems.. And that from VT's own mouth and from my own experience.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
im going to stay n/a for awhile, because this is going to be alot of money for me to do this, and if i did run a s/c i would def want to have the bottom end built up, but im optimistic if i even want to put a power adder onto this setup, so for now this setup is pretty much the route i want to go

Fryrice

Reaction score
VT1s are also an option. They are more tuner friendly and you can reuse your springs. They make great power with a PI swap.

ripper

Reaction score
I talked to my tuner about goin up to stage2 or 3 cams 2 days ago. He said unless I was gonna swap my intake to a Bullit or BBK it wouldnt be worth it. What do you guys think? Ive got stage1 now.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
When you get into the more radical cams, unless you are spinning over 6k regularly, they probably aren't worth it. They will bump up your dyno number though.

Also the BBK intake is a way's away yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online