Can't will tank with gas

Reaction score
Hello. This is my very first post (haven't even had a chance to post in the intro thread yet lol). I just got my first project car: a 1995 V6 mustang.

The first issue I wanted to tackle wan that I cannot fill the car with gas. It's the problem where the gas pump clicks off every few seconds. I tried to do as much research as I could to avoid posting anything redundant, but at this point, I'm just looking for some guidance as I am very new to all the DIY car stuff.

The ideas I have found so far include clogs/problems with the EVAP system, blocked/sticky valve at the bottom of the fill neck, and maybe that my tank is full and its a problem with my gauge.

I decided to inspect the EVAP first as it was the most straightforward. But that's now where I'm stuck. I don't have a compressor, but using a hand air pump, I tried blowing air through the EVAP charcoal canister and I couldn't tell that there was anything restricting flow. I was able to feel a hole in the hose from the canister to the EVAP solenoid, but would that be the issue? Also, does anyone know where the large hoses that merge together are supposed to go? I followed the hos and it just vents to atmosphere. Is that normal?

IMG_6120.jpg

At this point, I'm just looking for any guidance or suggestions. Any help is much appreciated.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hello. This is my very first post (haven't even had a chance to post in the intro thread yet lol). I just got my first project car: a 1995 V6 mustang.

The first issue I wanted to tackle wan that I cannot fill the car with gas. It's the problem where the gas pump clicks off every few seconds. I tried to do as much research as I could to avoid posting anything redundant, but at this point, I'm just looking for some guidance as I am very new to all the DIY car stuff.

The ideas I have found so far include clogs/problems with the EVAP system, blocked/sticky valve at the bottom of the fill neck, and maybe that my tank is full and its a problem with my gauge.

I decided to inspect the EVAP first as it was the most straightforward. But that's now where I'm stuck. I don't have a compressor, but using a hand air pump, I tried blowing air through the EVAP charcoal canister and I couldn't tell that there was anything restricting flow. I was able to feel a hole in the hose from the canister to the EVAP solenoid, but would that be the issue? Also, does anyone know where the large hoses that merge together are supposed to go? I followed the hos and it just vents to atmosphere. Is that normal?

View attachment 20852

At this point, I'm just looking for any guidance or suggestions. Any help is much appreciated.
First off, welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you on board. Now to the problem at hand, it is more than likely the vent at the top of your gas tank. Not a bad job, but it requires dropping the tank to get to it.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Oh ok. I was planning on dropping the tank anyways as a next step. And to confirm, this is the vent that would connect to the EVAP lines? Thanks so much for the reply.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Oh ok. I was planning on dropping the tank anyways as a next step. And to confirm, this is the vent that would connect to the EVAP lines? Thanks so much for the reply.
That’s the one. It’s a little white vent valve that pushes in to the top of the tank and hooks to the line that goes up to the charcoal canister.

dwcopple

Reaction score
So GD frustrating that you need to drop the tank for this. Damn engineers!

dwcopple

Reaction score
But really, it take 20 minutes tops to drop the tank. I’ve done the fuel pump in my car in a parking lot in under an hour.
No, it takes longer. I did mine today, well almost, but nobody stocks the valve so now I wait...

dwcopple

Reaction score
$19 @ ford. They get it next day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221016-161355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-161355_Chrome.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Update: you all are so incredibly helpful. I was a bit worried cause im so new to project cars, but im so glad to have found an active and welcoming forum. The fix worked perfectly and i was able to properly fill my car up at a station for the first time.

Also, i was able to get the valve at my advance auto shop. so they at least stock the part

dwcopple

Reaction score
Update: you all are so incredibly helpful. I was a bit worried cause im so new to project cars, but im so glad to have found an active and welcoming forum. The fix worked perfectly and i was able to properly fill my car up at a station for the first time.

Also, i was able to get the valve at my advance auto shop. so they at least stock the part
What??!?!? What part did you use?

dwcopple

Reaction score
Weird. I had that part in my hand and it was smaller than my oem part

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online