changing plugs on 98 cobra

95gtdrop

Reaction score
i am new to the dohc 4.6. i have a 95 5.0 but i am working on my dads 98 cobra. i got the plugs wires off, but i cannot get the plugs out/ dont know how to get em out. is there a special tool needed? any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

OP
OP

95gtdrop

Reaction score
I can't even get a plug socket on the plug. It's like there is a sleeve over it or something. But when I look down there with a light I can't see where a socket would fit

dustinv

Reaction score
On the shaft (or whatever it's called) that goes from the end of the plug wire and down to the spark plug, isn't there a rubber gromet that acts as a seal to keep debris and water out? Is it possible this came off when you pulled the shaft out and is now stuck over the spark plug, keeping the socket from going on? Sorry if I'm way off on this..it's been a while since I changed the plugs.

OP
OP

95gtdrop

Reaction score
i didnt think of that. i will check and see if they poped off the shaft.
thanks man.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
You're correct dustin. The "shaft" he speaks of is the spark plug wire. They should each have about a 3/4" tall rubber grommet on the end. Get enough heat and oil on them and they don't pull out when you pull out the wires.

If they get stuck down there, Advance sells a helpful tool that is basically a 30" snake toilet looking thing with a claw at the end. Plugs come out with a standard 5/8" spark plug socket and 12" extension. Do it with the motor cold, it'll be a little easier. Don't beast them going back in, it's an aluminum head!

oemracing

Reaction score
Dont reef on the plugs! It is possible someone changed the plugs with the motor warm last time. If that happens then 90% of the time the plug will break off. Has happened on 2 vehicles I ended up replacing the heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online