classic car insurance

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am close enough to getting it on the road that I have started to look into insurance and registration. I have checked out haggardy and grundy's but wondered if anyone else had any experience with classic car insurance and had any other recomendations? I have a DD and do not put many miles on anything so the low milage isn't a problem and the agreed upon value would certainly work better after all the time/$$$ put into it.

proudgeek

Reaction score
I am close enough to getting it on the road that I have started to look into insurance and registration. I have checked out haggardy and grundy's but wondered if anyone else had any experience with classic car insurance and had any other recomendations? I have a DD and do not put many miles on anything so the low milage isn't a problem and the agreed upon value would certainly work better after all the time/$$$ put into it.

I use Leland west. As long as you can justify the value you'll be ok.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I use Leland west. As long as you can justify the value you'll be ok.

While the more mileage would be nice(as if I get to use it) but so far they are almost 3x as much as grundy's and, a little more then double haggarty. Are they that much nicer?

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am still working on a deal between the 2 of them. I am down to 650 on regular ins. from Erie but no collision coverage and have been burned bad in court without that coverage. Collector Ins. with agreed value seems like a plan...but they have some restrictions on milage and parking and they did not like that my car has regular street tags and emissions registration because that is unlimited use here in Maryland, they would like Street rod tags which limit use to weekends to and from shows. Maryland has many sub category tags but they all have legal restrictions of some kind, but they are very easy to get with no inspections and the low life's and immigrants love to scam the system but it is a red flag to the POPO and the State troopers have NO sense of humor so I jump through the hoops to keep regular street tags on the car. Now they are busting people with tag readers everywhere, I am scanned at least twice a day around here and there are 4 other people with the same name in this zip code, I am doomed.

proudgeek

Reaction score
While the more mileage would be nice(as if I get to use it) but so far they are almost 3x as much as grundy's and, a little more then double haggarty. Are they that much nicer?

:) We can only find out how nice during a claim. I pay what I consider to be a competitive premium and adding the Roush only added about $230/yr to my premium living in Miami. For reference, my daily (2015 Mustang GT performance package) is insured via Progressive for $1900/yr and I am in my 40's with a pretty clean record. And it is a very good rate.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
$1900 holy hell I forgot how they rape you in big city's with all the extra crime. Now back in the nice quiet midwest year later in my $40s I didn't think $200 yr was too bad but now you make it seem like a steal..

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Quoted $560 a year for my 95 through Hagerty with a declared 15000 value and they know it’s a track car. You pay up front, of course.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't think there was a company crazy enough to cover track events. Now does that mean they cover anything or do they get down to the nitty gritty of who is at fault like on normal roads?

proudgeek

Reaction score
I didn't think there was a company crazy enough to cover track events. Now does that mean they cover anything or do they get down to the nitty gritty of who is at fault like on normal roads?

Lockton started it and now others have followed suit.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok but again is just any accident at the track covered? Or if the other guy looses control and goes into you do you hope he has insurance, or do you have extra coverage for non-insured drivers(at the track)? The whole thing sounds a bit strange.

proudgeek

Reaction score
ok but again is just any accident at the track covered? Or if the other guy looses control and goes into you do you hope he has insurance, or do you have extra coverage for non-insured drivers(at the track)? The whole thing sounds a bit strange.

Any accident is covered

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, literally last week started getting quotes. For my 97 with a $25k agreed value, so far Grundy is the cheapest @ $300/year. There's another popular one here in NJ called American Collectors Insurance, out of Cherry Hill. Worth a shot.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just called grundy and haggardy today and finalized quotes with both. It left me wondering if there was that big of a difference because $280 at grundy, $540 at haggardy. I have a neighbor that has had haggardy for a while and I want to ask if there is that much of a difference or what?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made a list today of the aftermarket parts on the car for coverage. Somewhere between the point I needed to get a 2nd page and I realized I forgot the supercharger under the motor shtuff I realized I might have got a tad further then I intended.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online