clay bar?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey guys.. well this weekend is my prom so you will probably see a bunch of pics of me and my girl. oh and our ride of choice is going to be (drum roll) MY CAR!! whoaaaa so now my car gets to be sexified too!

sooo tomorrow, im going to go pick up my tux then come back and probably clay bar the ride.. soo any tips on doing this and about how long will this take? after i claybar, do i need to wax?

ive never done this so i really want to get it right the first time. ill be posting before, during (comparisons), and after shots.. let me know guys! im on a tight schedule.. ill also be washing saturday morning.. then saturday night is my prom... let me know please, i really could use the information...

oh and is McGuire's/Mothers (can't remember which brand) Clay Bar kit ok? or is there a better one that i could get at stores?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Its a mothers clay bay kit.,

Be sure to knead and flip the clay once you used it for abit. I only done my car 2 times with it and there was black/brown specks of shit in my clay so i know it worked.

If you drop it on the ground... real hardcore detailers would throw it away. Once you drop it.. the clay will pick up rock bits/etc and stay in the clay causing you to scuff your paint :(

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
do i need to get the dirt and stuff off the clay every now and then? or can i just keep on scrubbin away?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I have the Meguire's Clay Bar kit and it works great. Just spray a quick detailer as a lube and use overlapping "strokes." Then dry the spot with a microfiber towel. I am usually doing a full detail when I bust out the clay bar, so I usually polish with the porter cable, then wax. But you should be fine just waxing after the claybar. Have fun and post some pics. :banana:

Bluextc

Reaction score
I use the Meguire's and wait til you see the difference! (and yes, wax afterwards). Post pics! ;D

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
do i need to get the dirt and stuff off the clay every now and then? or can i just keep on scrubbin away?

When it gets dirty, just "knead" the clay and flatten it out again. The dirt doesn't come out so you should junk each bar after about 4-5 cars depending on how bad they are.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i wish i had my mustang for prom, your gonna look sick with you and your date steppin out of the c-c-c-cobra

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i recomend the meguires open up the jar and keep the clay bar wet with quik detailer and work your ass off scrubing your ride lol...but the results speak the truth...if you notice any dirt in the bar or anything i would get it out or fold it so that the dirt is not exposed it will act like sand paper on your finish ....

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, they covered it well.

keep folding it ect. wet and wipe.

I'd recommend you polish it, then wax it.
you'll be amazed at the shine when your done.

ps. I'm moving this to the shine shop.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the information.. what is "kneading"?

and i can't wait to see the difference.. ill get it started tomorrow, then afterwards if im not to tired (i have school and then i have to go pick up my tux) ill polish then wax.. ill probably space it out into saturday morning though.. ill just park the car in the garage and saturday morning, spray off all the dust..

does this sound ok of an idea? thanks again guys

(and go ahead and move it Jeff, i shoulda posted it in there originally but i was stubborn and put it in the garage because i wanted some feedback before tomorrow and i didn't know how much the shine shop was frequented... O0)

thanks again guys!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
kneading is just folding over the clay bar and making a ball out of it and stuff then rolling it out back flat...

didn't you ever help your mom cook when you were little, its what you do to dough if that helps any.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
hey guys thanks for the information.. what is "kneading"?

and i can't wait to see the difference.. ill get it started tomorrow, then afterwards if im not to tired (i have school and then i have to go pick up my tux) ill polish then wax.. ill probably space it out into saturday morning though.. ill just park the car in the garage and saturday morning, spray off all the dust..

does this sound ok of an idea? thanks again guys

(and go ahead and move it Jeff, i shoulda posted it in there originally but i was stubborn and put it in the garage because i wanted some feedback before tomorrow and i didn't know how much the shine shop was frequented... O0)

thanks again guys!

NP Trey, car cleaning is an important thing imo! lol.

After you wipe an area down, you're dragging the clay across the paint, back an fourth, with soap or spray stuff - you'll feel a resistance as it picks up the surface contaiminates. once it's clean, it slides acress the paint easliy (with soap or something)

anyway, you'll get the stuff built up on the clay. so every so often, fold it over so the crap goes inside the clay.
you don't wanna be dragging particals across the paint -
that's what they mean by needing it.

your car probably does need it. ;)

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar said:

what are you saying Jeff? you saying i don't take care of my car?? ;D thanks for the info..

70% chance of rain today... its 1:11 and no rain yet i dont think.. i may wait till tomorrow morning to start... how long do you guys think it will take me to claybar and 3 step the car along with a general wash and interior? :dunno:

thanks guys! :)

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
Dalamar said:

what are you saying Jeff? you saying i don't take care of my car?? ;D thanks for the info..

70% chance of rain today... its 1:11 and no rain yet i dont think.. i may wait till tomorrow morning to start... how long do you guys think it will take me to claybar and 3 step the car along with a general wash and interior? :dunno:

thanks guys! :)

I'd say it'd take about 2 hours to do a good job with it. Have any questions feel free to ask. I honestly spend about as much time cleaning it as I do washing it. ::)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
Dalamar said:

I was being a smart ass
the clay - kneeding it, yoru car - needing it.
any car could use a GOOD clean, polish and wax. Expecially black. expecially a nice car like yours.

If you do it right, you'll be 6-8 hours. :)

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
Dalamar said:

I was being a smart ass
the clay - kneeding it, yoru car - needing it.
any car could use a GOOD clean, polish and wax. Expecially black. expecially a nice car like yours.

If you do it right, you'll be 6-8 hours. :)

A full exterior detail with a polish, depending on how agressive it was, would be 6-8 hours I agree. But I don't think he's going to buff it. :dunno:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
ive decided to hold off.. its about 40 degrees today (lame) and prom is tonight.. i figured 6-8 hours of cleaning the car = very tired since ill be up till about 6am tonight and tomorrow. soo most likely, ill be claybaring next weekend or the weekend after... next weekend i may be doing my intake gaskets. :) thanks for the help guys.. ill definitely let everyone know when im doing it and definitely will have pictures.. :drunk:

Foster98GT

Reaction score
I purchased the Meguires kit about a month ago and havent had the time to use it. Oh, well ill get around to it someday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001