Cleaning/painting under the hood of MeanGrn *update* spraying right now

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Re: Cleaning/painting under the hood of MeanGrn

ohhh i misunderstood your plans.. my bad man. lol it was just some eye candy for you to think about then.. i personally think the aluminum will look much better than the all green too. O0

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

ya i think it would be too much green.

Well the gaskets will be here tuesday and i found a reverse bit so i am going to say a few prayers, squirt it with some pb blaster and heat it up with the torch and see what happens :noes: Wish me luck :-\

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

well that didnt work :rant: I used the "drill out power extractor" to drill the hole and then you switch to the other end and extract it. So i get the hole drilled out which went extremely well (or so i thought) and switch to the extractor side. Well i tap the trigger on the drill and what do i hear but another *snap* Fucking son of a bitch broke off. Man im pissed. I found a snap on extractor set my dad had (that he neglected to tell me he had) and i was like ok ill drill it out and use the snap on extractor, but wait the carbon 7/64 bit i need is not in the set. f**k . so i searched the farm and found an assload of bits but only one 7/64 and of course its a cheap ass one and that broke too. I dont think the power extractor bit is carbon i think it was just steel so hopefully it will drill out...

The funny thing is the extractor i broke says right on it that it has a weak point designed in it that is in such a place that even if the extractor breaks there will still be some above the bolt... bullshit! So i am going to call my parents and have them pick up a carbon 7/64 bit and see what happens now...

Man i have some bad karma all of a sudden. It must be giving fets shit about his sawzall.. Im sorry fets ;D

And as we speak i am checking ebay etc. for a good deal on some good used heads... ;) Anyone have some nice heads they would like to get rid of? :)

damnit i just realize that Ace and everywhere else is closed. Guess ill have to wait till tomorrow to get the damn bit

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score

Sounds like this project is turning into a bitch.

It will be worth it when you're finished though. :thumb:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

well im going out to pull the head off of it right now :mad: :rant:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Re: Cleaning/painting under the hood of MeanGrn *update* head is off

Well the motherfucker is finally off. I thought it couldnt get much worse but it did...

i was loosening the head bolts and i got the smog tube or w/e it is called off the back of the head easily and then i went to take of the header bolts... well the used regular bolts so the bolts on the one side of the tubes were all touching the damn header tubes so i said fuck it ill take the manifold off from the h pipe and just pull the header with the head. so i did that and then i was like o shit i have to take off the front brackets. so i take off the 2 and then there is one that is just behind the power steering pump pulley enough you cant get it out w/o taking the pulley off. Well i dont have a pulley it is a late sunday night so i cant get one and then i seen where guys had took a grinder to the inside of the pulley to get enough clearance to remove the whole pump instead. So i ran to town and borrowed my bosses dremel. I came back and started grinding and i got it so i could fit a socket on the bolts so i started taking them out, i got the bottom ones loose but then i got to the top one and no dice. They must have rounded it off putting it in or something. i couldnt get the ****** off. So now i am wondering wtf i am going to do because i am pretty sure there is coolant in the cylinders and that cant be good for the rings so what am i going to do.... AHA! ill sawzall part of the mother fucking pulley to get to the bracket bolt. WALA now the bracket is off so i am free to take of the head. So the head is now sitting on the floor of the garage to be taken to the shop tomorrow. I was going to try some more things but at this point i am saying fuck it i am tired of messing with that broken bolt.

I am going to look at the pistons more tomorrow and see if they are stock replacements or if they put in good forged ones. So after i get the bolt out of the head ill put it back together and i might stick it on a trailer to the mechanic to have him replace the pulley i dunno if i even wanna fuck with that damn thing.

ill get some pics of everything in the morning. Maybe tomorrow ill actually get some painting done. What a fucking deal this has turned out to be. From painting the intake and manifold to having over half of the motor tore apart. I wish i had the $$ to drop a 351 in it :-\

and to make it even worse we only had 2 beers!!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score

i wanna see some paint :mad:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

i havent even messed with any painting. I will get it done the next day or so. The only paint i can show ya is the cans which i already did ;D

94twinscrew

Reaction score

OMG man,all that and only two beers?! :drunk: :slap: :'( Sucks to hear that you're having all these problems,but atleast you're not giving up. :pimp: Don't sweat the coolant washing the cylinders,just use a turkey baster to suck up what you can,then some shop rags. After it's all back together,do a oil change...run it for a minute,then do another oil change to get whatever is left. Then you're good to go.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

ya i know it aint that a bitch lol

ya i plan on draining it right away then picking up some cheap oil and running it and making sure that i have no coolant in the oil or a leak anywhere else.

Here are the pics. Anyone see any problems? I am going to look for a pic of stock pistons and compare and tonight i will look @ them more closely and see if i can find a number on them or anything

here are the latest pics:

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

this went from somewhat of a how to on painting your intake and valve covers to a how to tear the motor completely down ;D I have been pissed off so much that i can even be pissed anymore i just laugh and shake my head. I just wish i had the $$ laying around for a 351w stroker... anyone wanna make a donation??? :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I know what you mean about getting pissed at stuff like that.

Spring cleaning to the extreme!
You'll be happy when it's done.

We had a big PITA with Spyders brackets. the pulley on his power steering was stuck, and the bolts are right behind it.
anyway, we broke the damn bracket and after all that crap, with the pump in the vice, and a rented puller, it still wouldn't come off.

be broke the puller, and he ended up having to get a new bracket, pump and pulley.
Your upper looks just like his.

What are you going to do with the heads off?

I saw your paints too. you may want to get something called Adhesion Promoter. it's usually at auto paint supply stores, in a spray can.
I used it on my covers, and Spyders brackets we painted. That way you'll know the paint will stay.
Good luck man!

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

well i dropped the head off at the machine shop so hopefully they will get it out tomorrow. The gaskets will be here tomorrow but i have yet to get new head bolts. The weather is supposed to be in the 40's for the week so i am fucked when it comes to painting. I may say fuck it and do it down in the basement but i dunno if i wanna catch hell for that or not we will see :) maybe ill just put some heaters in the garage and do it out there. nothing is cooperating with me

97vertstang

Reaction score

dont give up, we want to see the finished product. ull be very happy at the end.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
well i am spraying color right now. I got 1 coat of green left on one vc and 2 on the other. then clear em and they will be done. dunno if i will get the intake done or not. i am spraying in the basment since everyone else is gone. Pry get my ass chewed later but o well ;D. dad came home at noon and he just said dont get too crazy with the paint and dont blow the house up haha. kinda hard to paint outside when it is supposed to be high in the 40's this week :mad:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ok ill take pics right now. I did this in the basement and i had a huge piece of cardboard and then i had a piece behind the direction i was spraying to keep the paint off of shit. Well i got done and was happy and i let it sit for awhile then i moved them and then i about shit myself. I did this on a really light tan rug (genius huh?) and you could see the line from where the cardboard was. i was like o shit so i got every carpet cleaner i could find and started scrubbing. I got it all off so its ok. I wonder what mom will think when she gets off work :noes: . she might just be happy i shampooed the rug ;D

ok ill go take pics now

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
well here are the finished valve covers. i may do a little wet sanding/buffing on them but i am not sure since they are just valve covers after all. We will see i guess

flash
IMG_0513.jpg

no flash
IMG_0514.jpg

no flash again
IMG_0518.jpg

they are actually a little lighter than the pic w/o the flash and darker than the pic w/ the flash. the pics aint great and do not do them justice at all. maybe the sun will shine one of these days and ill get a better pic.

also i went to pick up my head from the machine shop. i also had ordered head gasket and intake gaskets and i was kind of worried that removing the bolt was gonna cost a fair amount of money (i figured 50 atleast). well he told me the total for everything and i thought wow that aint too bad. Then i looked @ the labor for removing the bolt.... $10, yes thats right 10 bucks. :banana: im so happy, hell i spent well over 10 on damn bits lol (that damn drill out was 17 i believe). I learned my lesson.... sometimes it is just better to take shit to people who have experience with shit/ know wtf they are doing. ;D and also i am getting some tools, i need some left hand bits, some good quality regular twist bits and a set of thin profile wrenches... and a electric/cordless impact wrench would be bitchin down the road too.

i still have to do the intake but the temps are supposed to be in the 40's all week and after the little episode i had painting in the basement i dont think ill do that again... ;D ill get it done asap and post pics... also check out my thread about my wheels cuz i need some :help2:

Did i mention that the valve covers look fucking amazing :dancing6:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
go put them next to the stang so we can get an idea on how well they do/dont match!!! O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online