Cold Air Intakes for 97 Cobra

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
JLT on my friends 96 cobra (k&n, headers, exhaust only)picked up (dyno tested) 12hp to the wheels. no shit. I'm going to be getting one after my gears.

blackfang

Reaction score
Still running my K&N fipk, but thinking about going the blower route once I get a beater, so I am going to stick with it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have the WMS Velocity Tube. I just installed it a few days ago and so far i love it. It breathes better than my Densecharger. I can tell because the exhaust was actually a tad different.
It clears the STB and its has a polished Ceramic coating and imo looks much better than UPR piece. It also is insulated more than the UPR. The WMS pices only cost $105. Then all you need is the MAF adapter and a conical filter.
I don't have a pic of it installed yet, but I will.

Stoked97

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im a new member and was just reading through. The one and only CAI that will allow you to retain your strut tower brace is the one from BBK.

01SportChic

Reaction score
damn wish I even had a brace on my car...one of the previous owners removed it.

I just have a home made, half factory, half aftermarket intake lol

Magic

Reaction score
01SportChic said:
damn wish I even had a brace on my car...one of the previous owners removed it.

I just have a home made, half factory, half aftermarket intake lol

Biggest restriction in the stock air intake setup is the stock airbox itself......

badass98svt

Reaction score
Stoked97 said:
The one and only CAI that will allow you to retain your strut tower brace is the one from BBK.

That's definitely a false statement bud.

The C&L pipe, the WMS Velocity tube, the UPR power pipe, and a few others will clear the stock Strut Tower Brace.

timpryor

Reaction score
badass98svt said:
Stoked97 said:
The one and only CAI that will allow you to retain your strut tower brace is the one from BBK.

That's definitely a false statement bud.

The C&L pipe, the WMS Velocity tube, the UPR power pipe, and a few others will clear the stock Strut Tower Brace.
The UPR power pipe has been discontinued

either way i'll be modifying my STB so i can run the JLT, basically i will make it a 2 point bace instead of a 3 point

96blkbullitt

Reaction score
I've been doing research on this issue as well after getting a 97 cobra myself. Seems that Steeda makes a stronger/lighter STB for the 96-98 cobra. They claim it allows for other intakes to fit while retaining the bar. Didn't know if anyone had considered that route, but I am to shed a little weight, keep a STB, and hopefully fit any CAI I chose.

96blkbullitt

Reaction score
haha. It's looking that way isn't it. No one seems to have any info on the Steeda STB no matter what site I've posted the same question on. I don't know if the piece just came out and I happened to stumble upon it before a lot of other did, but for the $150 I'd hate to be THAT guy right now. If anyone who's read my post above hasn't seen the piece, go to Steeda's site and go to the "chassis stiffening" section. Looks nice, and since the Maximum Motorsport STB doesn't seem to help with intake clearance then maybe the Steeda is the answer. I'd love to hear some real world answers before going through with ordering the STB, as I'm sure a lot of us would.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Are you a member on SVTP? They may be able to help you out. Post a link to the part too.

96blkbullitt

Reaction score
finally someone on SVTP saw my thread and ended up having the Steeda STB on their 98 cobra. He doesn't have any CAI yet but is supposed to post up some pictures to show the extra clearance. I'm excited to see what it looks like. Check out the link posted above if any of you are interested as well.

96blkbullitt

Reaction score
Well the pics of the steeda bar are up on my SVTP thread posted above. Doesn't look like much, if any extra clearance to me. check for yourself if you're interested, I may be wrong. A JLT still wouldn't fit IMO, so I'm probably going with the wms high velocity kit. I see a lot of people run the kit, but keep their stock maf. I like their kit that comes with the bigger maf. Is anyone running it that can give some feedback?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online