Comp Polymers VH050

STR33TR

Reaction score
Pretty well happy w/ the exterior of my car. Now I'm ready to get some more oomph.
249-VH050_1.jpg

249-VH050_2.jpg

249-VH050_4.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/VH050/10002/-1
The Powerbox is a direct replacement upper intake that bolts onto the stock 5.0L Mustang lower intake to produce a 20 horsepower increase at 4700 RPM on a stock engine! That means a broad power band that keeps pulling to the 6250 RPM rev limiter plus improves 1/4 mile E.T. by.3 seconds. And, according to dyno tests, Powerbox meets or exceeds the breathing ability of Ford's GT-40 intake at all points of the horsepower curve! Gain an additional 300 RPM's while dropping 16 pounds of engine weight. Constructed of indestructible, heat resistant composite material. Complete with all gaskets, vacuum fittings, bolts, hex key wrench, silicone sealant, instructions and instruction video.

Jegs has this upper for just over $300 (some places have it for as little as $290) -does anyone have any personal experience w/ this intake on our cars?

P.S. anyone have a vcr to play the video? j/k

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Better off replacing the whole manifold with something better like a Cobra, Edelbrock, TFS, etc... The stock lower sucks.

OP
OP
S

STR33TR

Reaction score
Paul said:
Better off replacing the whole manifold with something better like a Cobra, Edelbrock, TFS, etc... The stock lower sucks.
hey Paul, thanx for chiming in -happy to hear from someone that knows what they're talking a/b!
I'm curious, though: you included the Cobra intake -is this different from the GT-40?
I ask b/c Jegs description says "meets or exceeds the breathing ability of Ford's GT-40 intake at all points of the horsepower curve! "
I remember some comparo in 5.0 or MMFF that put the Cobra intake up against Edelbrock, TFS and the BBK. the Cobra came in last, but not far behind the BBK and it wasn't a HUGE jump in performance b/t these 2 and the top 2. IF (capitalized on purpose) this powerbox thing is as good or better than the Cobra/GT40 intake for this little$$ then it'd be a good step in the right direction.
In my mind, anyway.

95gtdrop

Reaction score
i think that upper is so sick! i wish they made one that accepted the 9t40 lower. id be down for one. i heard from a couple local stang guys that the intakes work best with forced induction.
but i dont know anything about em.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
The Cobra is a good, economical manifold. They can be had used for very cheap.

That said, clearly the Edelbrock Performer or TFS Street Heat would be a better alternative.

modo

Reaction score
that intake is a very short runner design. unless you plan on spinning the motor close to 7000 rpm or f/i that intake will hurt you

even if you did it is still using a stock lower which isn't going to do much on anything other then a stock head. waste of money imo

Addermk2

Reaction score
95gtdrop said:
i think that upper is so sick! i wish they made one that accepted the 9t40 lower. id be down for one. i heard from a couple local stang guys that the intakes work best with forced induction.
but i dont know anything about em.

they did make a gt40 box... but they arent that good with boost... I watched one pop open on my friends 93 notch with an S-trim

wannaboost94gt

Reaction score
I believe all the comp polymer intakes will "pop" at like 6-8 lbs of boost iirc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online