Compression & Tuner question

SIIaCanuck

Reaction score
Hey gang, looking for some thoughts on compression for a 331 build. I only have 87 octane locally, with the nearest 89 or 91 being 20 miles away so I'd like to be able to use 87 in a pinch, even if I have to pull timing a bit.

Spec:
Thumper ported GT40p heads (230/195ish cfm @0.500")
GT40 intake (ported lower)
Lunati 51014 cam (218/226, 0.500"/0.510", LSA/ICL 112/108)
CAI, 90mm MAF, 75mm TB, 24# injectors
Shorty headers, 2.5 X-pipe/cat-back (Borla)

Would 9.5:1 be too high for iron heads or should I stick to 9:1 ish?

What tuner would you recommend? The stock ECU probably won't help me much, so I'm considering an Anderson Motorsports PMS or Tweecer but would like some more advice.

Stew

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anderson and Tweecer are both outdated and in my eyes would be wasted money. I'm hoping to use a Mega or Microsquirt based ECU for my car whenever I get around to dicking with it. Keith at 64bitTuning offers some plug and play kits (I cannot remember his username on the forums) and the Stinger PimpXS is another option.

I'm 0 help on the compression question in regards to fuel, I'm blessed with 93 at every corner.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Where the heck do you live that 87 is only thing available?!?! It’s like a weird car twilight zone!!!! Lol
Keith is [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION]

He knows tuning exceptionally well but be warned, when he gives you an answer don’t question it. Just listen and learn. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SIIaCanuck

Reaction score
Been away overseas, but thanks for the replies guys.

As for the 87 only, I'm in rural Alberta. Local village has only one gas station and it's regular only. Over half of the vehicles around here are diesel trucks and another 30% are SUVs and minivans; the rest are grocery getters. Not much demand for premium where there are only a dozen or so sports cars within a 10 mile radius, and they only get used 4-6 months of the year.

Nearest 89 or 91 is 15 miles away.

As for tuners, I picked up an Anderson Series 4 PMS for '94-'95 cars for a decent price. It'll keep me running well enough until I figure out a better option. My plans have had to change a bit so I'm going to put the head and cam in a low mileage short block this winter and then build the 331 up later. I'll look into 64bit Tuning while I'm at it. I also have Simple Digital Systems in Calgary if I want to go stand alone and keep things simple.

Work and family commitments get in the way, but they gotta come first. The days when I could live in a car are long gone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online