Convertible top cleaner

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Anyone have any good recommendations for a good convertible top cleaner for a black top? My car lives under one of those trees that paint the car with pollen, and its got a little sun fade so it always looks dingy next to the glossy black paint. I've tried chemical guys (not a big fan of any of their stuff, but I thought I'd test it) and it didn't seem to do much, and I just ordered Mcguire's to match with the rest of my detailing stuff, haven't gotten a chance to try it out. Hoping anyone else has some ideas. Not just a one time deepclean, but something I can toss on there while I'm doing my weekly wash to get that dang pollen off it.

Monday

Reaction score
I don't use anything else. It is a new top as well. I did use it on the old one also.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 16

Adfalenski

Reaction score
What about a leather protectant after cleaning the top? Leather protectant leaves a very light oily / waxy residue that keeps stuff from sticking. Yes, I realize the top is vinyl but even vinyl has microscopic pores for tree sap to cling to. With some kind of protectant it would make it easier to keep the crap from sticking.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Monday - That's a protectant, not a cleaner.

I've not used anything other than the car wash soap on mine, but then again it's probably only had a water wash three or four times in the last 15 years. :)

For protection, Aerospace 303 is what I've found to work best on the vert's top and for tonneau covers as well. Just be sure to follow the directions, and buff it with a dry cloth.

Here's a thorough article on the subject of convertible top care and cleaning at Autopia: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-cabrio.html

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
does it need to be cleaned or has the black faded and you just need it darker?
Its probably a combination of the dust that gets blown up here and some fade. Cant quite tell, but there isn't much sunfade on the paint, and the original owner garage kept it.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
What about a leather protectant after cleaning the top? Leather protectant leaves a very light oily / waxy residue that keeps stuff from sticking. Yes, I realize the top is vinyl but even vinyl has microscopic pores for tree sap to cling to. With some kind of protectant it would make it easier to keep the crap from sticking.
I've got the mcguires vinyl and plastic protectant for interiors, do you think that would do any good?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would not put any oil on the top that is not made to go there. It might help it in the short term but I would think that it would help it to collect dust/dirt after a while

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online