OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: Detail of a Malibu Wakesetter, and breakin in the Hitachi Rotary

JDwhite98gt said:
Oh for sure. That picture you posted with the boat in the water, was that before your detail? Also, is that the lake that they film girls gone wild at or where there is that big boating week?

ya, that was before the detail. "good from far, far from good"
That's Lake Powell. not sure about filming girls gone wild lol, but that would be..... interesting :)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

i always hold my breath when people wet sand... i personally have messed up a few things attempting to wet sand.... glad to see yours came out REMARKABLY! (sp? lol)

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

greenscobie86 said:
Dal,

I would probably like to get the pad cleaner.
A compound of some sort(721 I guess?)
A finishing polish, dunno what to get here..
A sealant/glaze
And maybe a 'nuba wax as well...

Oh an I've been thinking about some Diablo wheel Gel, and a plastic dressing of some sort.

You can PM me so we don't cloud up your thread.

No worries mate, this is the right palce to talk about detailing products.

that 721 is a more agressive polish, like a stage 2 sort of thing.
depends on the condition of your paint, but you may want to start with something less abbrasive.
I used it to buff out wet sanding marks, and a gel coat is thicker and harder than clearcoat on a car.

Here's a spread of the products I've tried and use:
shelf6.jpg

I get my stuff from CG, or from Justin at Obsessive Detail, who is a sponsor and gives members a discount. he also has a few products that are forumlated/made for him, that I really like.
Polish: You might want to start with the Hyperpolish for a good stage 1 polish. it goes on ez and the spray feature is nice.
Glaze - check out the poorboys glaze - black hole for dark colors, and white diamond for light colors.
Sealer - Jetseal is awsome, definately go with that
Wax - 50/50 is a good final wax, or also check out Justin's Wet obsession.

Trim - the absolute best thing I've got is the Silk Shine dressing from Obsessive Detail. awsome on plastic, trim and the interior.

pad cleaner is good, and you should also check out their citrus wash and gloss, wash soap.

let me know what you think.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

MustangChris said:
i always hold my breath when people wet sand... i personally have messed up a few things attempting to wet sand.... glad to see yours came out REMARKABLY! (sp? lol)

thanks buddy. what grit did you use?
I used 2000 on this thing

greenscobie86

Reaction score

thanks for info Dal... The products aren't for my own car perse... I detail on the side so i was thinking of replenishing my cache with something different this time around...

thanks for the heads up on the products! Do chemical guys have a wheel sealant that's good as well?

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

jetseal would work great on wheels too. I also have used Klasse acrilic sealer on wheels.

greenscobie86

Reaction score

aha, thanks for the tip!

make sure you post up when you get this boat all done up...

How powerful is that motor btw? Out of curiosity..

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Indmar 350. 330 HP

it runs nice and smooth, fires right up.

greenscobie86

Reaction score

Cool, A houseboat that my family once rented had twin 350 Mercruisers, those things sounded like God's plumbing when you fired them up lol...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Dalamar said:
MustangChris said:

thanks buddy. what grit did you use?
I used 2000 on this thing

something extrememly fine.... felt more like velvet than sand paper. lol. we attempted to paint a 1/4 pannel of my car... ... it didnt go well. but the local paint shop fixed everything i ruined, so its okay. lol.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Its amazing how much better you can make a boat look and increase the value. Good work.

G

GREG@SN95

I've detailed several 40+ft yachts... Gel coat is basically plastic and very easy to work with... Simply use a heavy compound then seal... With black gel coat you may want to polish to get swirls out, but I've never touched anything other then white... Almost every 40,50,60ft yacht or fishing boat is white... They get extremely oxidized, especially if its in salt water and sealant needs to be applied every 3 months...

Boats in salt water are a PITA to maintain... But gel coat is super durable and its nearly impossible to screw up with a buffer... I should be detailing a 55ft fishin boat in the next few weeks, if the guy has the money and I do the job I'll post pics... Boats are big money to detail. I get $35/ft... Thats almost 2 grand for a 55ft boat and 5 days work...

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

nice Greg! that's a lot of buffing.

I got this all done on the compound/wet sanding, but my dad took it up to the lake yesterday-wed.

So i'll finish it up next week.
Black is black is black. shows the marks, but you can see how it shines in my pictures.

Greg, have you done any gel coat repairs.? I have a few dings that need to be fixed.

G

GREG@SN95

Dalamar said:
nice Greg! that's a lot of buffing.

I got this all done on the compound/wet sanding, but my dad took it up to the lake yesterday-wed.

So i'll finish it up next week.
Black is black is black. shows the marks, but you can see how it shines in my pictures.

Greg, have you done any gel coat repairs.? I have a few dings that need to be fixed.

Nope... Never done a repair... Its probably a PITA... lol

I use a compound called Ardex Smart Cut... Its by far the best compound I ever used... Its starts out like a heavy compound but finishes like a polish... It will remove sand paper marks and the lightest of swirl marks. I mean it works like 3 compounds in one. It works just as hard as poorboys SSR3 without leaving a haze, then it works like SSR2. So I use that on every boat I do.... Ardex on a yellow pad, looks brand new, then seal it...

The Ardex is hard to find, you should try it if you are gonna start doing alot of boats... Honestly, I use it on cars and trucks more then any other product...

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I've had an ubber busy week. and we're going to the lake today/tommorrow.
I'll finish this some time!

last week my dad had the boat up at bear lake and a guy was asking him about it, said except for the older style tower, it looks brand new.
He want's me to do his boat, dad have him my info. :p

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

last weekend we were crusing at lake powell, went down to do some maintenance on the Houseboat, and we drove around and did some canyon exploring the morning we left. on acceleration leaving said canyon, we hit something. nothing visable from above water, there was a waterlogged tree about 2' under the surface. bent the prop and shaft and rudder, and cracked the v-drive.
Boat's in the shop, and it was super exciting getting back to the houseboat & ramp.
we did 45mph going down there, took about 35 minutes. could do about 8-10 mph coming back with the bent prop..... add that one up.

So the boat's in the shop. :sad5:

on the plus side, we just got insurance on it 2 weeks ago!

CanaryGT

Reaction score

Sad Panda :sad5:

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Update - still in the shop :(
insurance ended up covering it after us prodding them for about 3 weeks. and the oil leak was from the bolts around the v-drive shaft bracket geting pushed up into it.
Taking FOREVER, but since they're paying for it, I guess I can't complain. supposed to be done next week.
All the nice weather in Sept was itching me to hit the lake....

but on the up side, we're doing a cam and head swap for an 80 HP gain while the motor is out :D

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The boat is back after hanging outside the shop all winter. all repaired with newer heads.
Haven't had time to touch it. :(

Nacho98

Reaction score

How do like using a rotary compared to a PC? Were you pretty nervous the first time you fired up the paint-burning power of a rotary?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online