Dilemma. What would you do?

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
It gets better, the noise is still there. Not as bad, but still there.

That and I've never driven one of these with a new clutch, so I must look like a 17 year old driving stick for the first time. At this point, I don't really trust the car for any great distance. All that goes through my mind is the trans, time-serted plug, and frame rot as I drive the damn thing... not waiting until spring, it's gotta go before anything else fails.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You have a pretty substantial amount of negative equity on this car and you're going to be upside down on it for a while. Car salesman are sneaky/tricky, but not stupid and they won't give you much for this car on trade. Trust me, you won't be doing yourself any favors by going that route aside from saving some time. In light of recent findings, I'd highly suggest you lean towards parting/scrapping it. You could probably strip the whole thing down in a couple days. Sell off everything of value, and scrap the rest. You'll yield more in the long run that way.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Max put ur insurance coverage (gap) and install a racing harness....

Find a nice stretch of divided freeway (like barrier divided) get up to just above the speed limit and pretend your Danica Patrick. One good hit and a slide along the wall should do the trick.

Next step contact the mods on this forum and have this post deleted.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Deep- I see what you're saying, and don't disagree. Just that again, we run into the time problem/lack of the proper tools to rip this thing apart. Besides, it's a GT Deluxe with not much going for it; interior has scuffs here and there (pretty sure PO had a cat or small dog in this thing often); really a stripper model except the IUP (figure that). Still have to replace the ABS module (yes, confirmed as that, my dad's dealership just got a new chassis scanner) before I make a move, maybe I can sucker a kid...

D3V- lots of deer in my area. Just need to clock one then hit an inanimate object.

Sad thing is, I took it out for a brief time today, and started enjoying it a couple of miles in. This is going to be painful.

My wife has raised the price limit and wants me to get another Stang, but I don't know that it's wise to buy a 10 year old car that will be 15 years old when paid off. Sorry the S197's aren't doing it for me and the Edges have all of the same problems this one does. So-what am I really gaining?

the.greg

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to make the hard choice to be stangless for a period of time, atleast until you can be in a more financially secure situation. Buy something cheap and economical and you will enjoy the maintenance free/worry free driving at the cost of your commuter being soulless. Find a good deal so you won't be upside down again and look to the future goal of having another mustang when it can be what you want and practical financially.

Seems to me you cant afford the mustang you want, but still need to ditch your current money pit car. I'd list on craigslist and see if you can find the right buyer or trade it in, but on something economical.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to make the hard choice to be stangless for a period of time, atleast until you can be in a more financially secure situation. Buy something cheap and economical and you will enjoy the maintenance free/worry free driving at the cost of your commuter being soulless. Find a good deal so you won't be upside down again and look to the future goal of having another mustang when it can be what you want and practical financially.

Seems to me you cant afford the mustang you want, but still need to ditch your current money pit car. I'd list on craigslist and see if you can find the right buyer or trade it in, but on something economical.

What I put in bold explains the situation 100%. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be Stangless for a while. There'll always be another, some other day.

Bill94vert

Reaction score
Dump the car, pay rest of loan off, buy a garage, pay that loan off, have another kid, pay that loan off, buy a mini van, dream about your old mustang that you could still have, pay mini van loan off....buy another soccer transporter....and so on. Is another mustang in your sites? If your like me, the last kid will have to be 18+ before ill even be able to look at what I want.

what he said but I still think I can convince my wife that a mustang is a good idea although I still have my vert its just sitting there

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BS... the whole lot of it. ^

In the last 6 years I've: gotten a degree, bought a house, gotten married, had three kids, purchased a 25,000-ish sq ft abandoned dungeon, dumped another $6k-something worth of improvements into said dungeon, purchased two new edge cobras, bought 3 trucks, two cars, and a bike.... all while selling crap on eBay and working part time as a rent-a-cop.

It makes my heart bleed to hear stories about folks who sell off their cars or other prize possessions because of life events (ie/ having kids, getting married, etc) and they feel that they have to. And to those people, I have this to say: "Life... you're doing it wrong."

My wife and kids enjoy my hobbies as much as I do. I couldn't imagine selling off my cars or anything else I enjoy just because some life event takes place. If you don't have time for your car anymore, fine. Store it away somewhere until you do have time again! Why get rid of it and then wish you hadn't or get all depressed for 18 years before returning to the things you enjoy? Why does everybody seem to think that because your ol' lady is expecting, the car automatically has to go?! Yeah, kids are expensive, but you have months to plan before they even arrive. It just doesn't make sense.

*sigh*

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Agreed that kids shouldn't interfere with car choice. Unless you're in my situation. To be dead honest, we all know I'd stick with the car, were it not for the three terminal illnesses it has. Have had more seat time in it, and I got the clutch figured out, except it still chatters from a stop. Apparently a stretched cable can cause this issue; the cable was not replaced when the clutch was done. That and the noise in the trans isn't getting any quieter, just the opposite.

Still considering my options and I hope to get the ABS module sent out for a rebuild next week. Once that's handled, I can get going on something. I'm considering grabbing an older V6 just to stay in the game.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's a Northeast car, dump and run.

One of the reasons I haven't got rid of mine is it has never seen salt and is still solid but these cars are relatively cheap and are basically throw away cars now.

Get what you can for it and cut your losses. If you trade it in do it at night but look at the car you want during the day. The dealership will just wholesale your GT anyway.

I have seen some nice low mile Mach's for 10-12k and I am sure your GT will at least have a close enough book value that you won't get raped.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
I never posted the final decision. Decided to roll the dice on this one... going to keep it through the winter, and just drive it very sporadically (we have two other cars). Reasoning is that, if I wait until spring, I can try to sell it; I can ask a lower price since I'm still paying on the loan, which should allow me to get rid of the car a little quicker. I'm putting off the ABS module for a while. Might replace at tax time with a reman.

Have a can of POR-15 ready to go, so when warm weather returns, I can address the rust in the back. Can only help value. As for the rest of the problems... it's running fine, the chatter went away, and the trans is still making noise but not interfering with shift quality.

I can't afford something else right now, and long term my wife and I want to buy a house. Something had to give.

Yes, it's a risky plan, but the only one I really have at this point that doesn't involve spending $ I don't have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online