Door Chime

Discussion in 'Electrical & Stereo' started by JTEarp, Mar 12, 2006.

1. JTEarp

JTEarp New Member

Hey everybody does your door chime start ringing on the drivers side when you open it and no key in the ignition? Mine does this and it drives me crazy. Especially if I'm doing some work and I leave the door open. Let me know if you know how to disable this thing or if I might have a short somewhere. :help2:

Thanks
    James

2. 94gtstang50

94gtstang50 Well-Known Member

Probably your ignition lock is starting to get worn and beat, mine used to to this, I'd just hit it a few times and it would shut up. I replaced the lock last year and it no longer sings to me whilst I work.

3. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

yea its prob the ignition lock where your key goes in, try giggling it or hitting it like mentioned if it stops thats your problem, seems fairly common?

4. JTEarp

JTEarp New Member

Thanks guys. Problem solved the ignition switch has some play in it.

5. ALITL8

ALITL8 Well-Known Member

yea thanks guys... the Brat's car is doing that all of a sudden and i hadnt taken time to figure it out.

6. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

howd you fix this? was it hard? cheap? my ignition switch is kinda loose/acts up and sets off the chime too.

7. B0mb3r645

B0mb3r645 New Member

cheap? They just probably hit it lol, gotta be a little rough with things that don't want to work your way.

8. Dalamar

Dalamar Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

I dunno about other years, but the chyme was a box under my dash, I unpuged it in 97...
    It's annoying!

9. HISSIN50

HISSIN50 New Member

There's a one wire contact in the lock cylinder (the ignition switch is an electrical item = different). If you yank the lock cylinder you can see the dinky little contact for the chime. If you insulated the contact and remotely-locate it, it wouldnt chime.

The lock cylinder (as mentioned) is prone to breakage. There are 3 pins that hold the collar (with the ears) to the cylinder and the pins shear off. Then your ears will spin 360 (the purpose of the collar and ears is to keep you from bending keys while starting). And when that collar spins, it's hard to line it up to shut the chime off.

I had to make new pins to fix mine (too cheap to get a new cylinder and have it rekeyed).

The key being removable at any time is also a reason for chiming - since one doesnt need to have the key in a given position to remove it, it's easy for the cylinder to be turned toward 'run' just a little bit.

Good luck.

10. WildWilk

WildWilk New Member

Remove door panel four wires going to latch cut yellow and black wire door chime no longer works

11. ttocs

ttocs Legend

it takes about 5 seconds to replace the ignition cylinder and about $25 including the price of the locksmith to make it so your old key will work it.

To install it you put the key in, turn it to run, push a small hidden button on the bottom with a small screwdriver, and then pull the entire cylinder out with the key. Then you just slide the new one in, turn it to off and your done. Seriously 5 secs, autozone stocks the cylinders and your local locksmith will know what to do.