ECM issue

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So after a few long days of research and phone calls, my tuner is locked out and too old for the company to fix as they no longer support this device. My ECM is now messed up and the car will not start. I now have to have my ECM reflashed or replaced. I have done some research and based on some information I have come across, 96-97 do not need to be reflash because they do not use a chip key and the only PATS is a light on the dash that is not linked or affect the ECM. I have tried calling a Ford dealer to see if they can confirm this, but they won't say. I have also tried decoding the ECM part number to also see if it requires it to be reflashed, but also had no luck there.

Can anyone help me? All I want to know is if I install a used ECM from the same make, model, year and engine size....... if it needs to be reflashed or is it plug and play?

lutter94

Reaction score
Whats the backstory? what year/engine/etc? What mods have been done? Pretty vague request at this point in time.

OP
OP
SN95_Superman

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
1997 GT 4.6, BBK cold air intake, short shifter and I bought an SCT 9600 Tuner. I previously had a preloaded tune uploaded and the car ran great. Tried to update the device but the company doesn't support that old model of tuner, so connected it back to the car. tried to upload a custom tune but the custom tune was for a 2003 GT 5.0 and now the tuner is locked and my car won't start. I contacted SCT and there is nothing they can do, the tuner is useless for tuning now and I have to either get my ECM reflashed back to stock settings which means towing the car to a Ford Dealership or I can replace my ECM with a used ECM from the same year, make, model and engine size. So again, my question is can anyone confirm that replacing the ECM with a used one that it does not have to be flashed to start and drive or does the ECM have to be reflashed regardless of using the original or used ECM?

lutter94

Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it! So both the tuner and the ecm are junk? There's a code on your ecm. Look for it on eBay and replace it. If it doesn't run at all gonna have to tow it to a Dyno shop or something. Start the whole tune process over again. Not a lot a Ford dealer can do unless it's still stock.

Oh I misremembered once I started typing. I would assume the tuner could flash over whatever is on your ecm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SN95_Superman

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
Over the weekend I was able to speak with a number of people regarding the issues I am having. The tuner is locked and now useless for tuning. It can still be used for 0-60 or 1/4 mile. The ecm is been overwritten by the tuner and has to be reflashed at a dealer. They require the whole car, not just the ecm or I can install a used ecm of the same year, make and model car and drive the car. The ecm with obvious read to a different VIN number, but it doesn't have to be reflashed like the 99-04 models with the PATY's.

Thank you to those of you who helped.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
does it have to be reflashed by a dealer? Any reason a local dyno tuner can't do it? I would rather tow my car to them if needed to have it done there on the dyno so I know its right and even better yet optimized for what mods you have, then to hope the dealer both has experience with it and has the right tune. Most of the dealer techs today and good for little more then an oil change and plugging in a computer to tell them what is wrong I do not know if I have heard of any reflashing ecu's.

OP
OP
SN95_Superman

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
I received the used ECM for the car and installed it. The car started and then shut off, so unfortunately the ECM has to be reflashed. I have to have the car towed to a dealership to have it done as it can only be done by the dealer who has the specific ECM program spec's for it. Unless a technician has personal access to dealer computer programming, or a tuner shop has access to Ford's ECM reflash program and computer......the dealer is the only way to get it done.

lutter94

Reaction score
What will a dealer do that isn't already done to a used ECM? Haul it to a tuner, let them do their magic. Boom, done. They'll put a new chip on the new/used ECM.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you sure it wasn't pats that shut it down and it needs the key programmed? Was the security light flashing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online