engine swap.

muffin

Reaction score
Hey, i just bought a '96 from my friend. it originally came with a 3800 v6. well... the previous owner before my friend took the engine. trans drive shaft. ect. I got a hold of a 4.6l out of a 2001 mustang. i was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for installation. .. such as any problems that i may have or run into while putting it in.

Downshift

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
you had a chevy motor in your car when you bought it?

Im pretty sure he just means 3.8L.

I am pretty sure you are going to have to change quite a bit of parts to get that it there. K member? At least the computer and all the related stuff. Someone will come in here and help you out.

ripper

Reaction score
Your better off selling and buying a GT if you want an 8. If i was you id mod the living crap outa a 6banger and put it in there. There are some sixers in here that are awesome. You would have to change so much stuff it wouldnt be worth the trouble. There is nothing wrong with having a sixer that can beat a stock gt :thumb:

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
My friend did a GT conversion on his 2000 V6. He says its not worth the time and effort, he had to swap over EVERYTHING, including the rear axle and the fuel lines....K member, CCRM, ECU, all those related stuffs. Keep in mind the brake system on the GT;s are Hydroboost and the V6 uses a brake booster, you have to change out the pedal assembly too. Money wise for him it was worth it because he picked up a wrecked 2001 GT that belonged to a cop for like 1500 bucks....whatever small stuff he didnt need he sold....he sold off all his old V6 stuff and made back double what he spent for the donor car.

Stroke that 6, put a supercharger, and beat some GT's!

Grnstang

Reaction score
Sounds like that would be the way to go if you were to do the swap. Just look for a wrecked GT and use all the good parts. You could probably find a decent wreck for pretty cheap. Good luck with the project!

OP
OP
M

muffin

Reaction score
I would love to supercharge it if i had a 6 but thats not the engine i have. I have a 4.6L v8. out of and 01 stang.. there is no engine in my 96 mustang. who ever had the car before me took the engine, trans assembly and hood. i got a hold of the 4.6 and want to put it in. i was wondering if there were parts that i need for the engine to fit. i wasnt sure if everything would go in smooth. like i probably need a new k member or something. Anyone out there with suggestions?

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
68mustang5.0 said:
My friend did a GT conversion on his 2000 V6. He says its not worth the time and effort, he had to swap over EVERYTHING, including the rear axle and the fuel lines....K member, CCRM, ECU, all those related stuffs. Keep in mind the brake system on the GT;s are Hydroboost and the V6 uses a brake booster, you have to change out the pedal assembly too. Money wise for him it was worth it because he picked up a wrecked 2001 GT that belonged to a cop for like 1500 bucks....whatever small stuff he didnt need he sold....he sold off all his old V6 stuff and made back double what he spent for the donor car.

Stroke that 6, put a supercharger, and beat some GT's!

ripper

Reaction score
You need everything. Sell your PI motor and buy a 6 and put it in.

95-stang

Reaction score
Sounds like you took on a project, many years ago you could just rip a motor out and swap it over, but due to the electrics and all the other crap fitted to modern cars, i would'nt even attempt it.
I agree though, buy a V6 motor and get it up and running. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online