External Fuel Pump for diagnosis

ben37

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm still having trouble with my '03 V6. I changed the fuel pressure sensor recently, and that finally made a difference, but I still have low power and jerking. Last item in line of fuel is the fuel pump. Now I don't wanna go out and spend $90 on a fuel pump just yet, so I was wondering if I can hack something together to see if thats the issue.

Can I take some kind of pump, hang it in a gas can and hook it up to the fuel pressure regulator? Or am I running into all sorts of trouble with that?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly, you’re looking for trouble with that. Getting some regular rubber hooked up to the rail would be a pain. You should be able to find a replacement pump much cheaper than $90.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I agree with lwarrior you can get pumps a lot cheaper than that. However, dropping the tank to replace it takes time and if it doesn't fix your issue it is time and money wasted. Many auto parts stores have a free tool loan program where you buy the tool, use it, return it, and get all your money back. See if a local one has a fuel pressure tester you can connect to the fuel rail fitting. That'll tell you if you have full pressure up front or not. That, or buy one - Harbor Freight has them for under $25.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online