Fan Motor

tderrick

Reaction score
My first post ... and of course I have a problem :)

The Hi speed fan stopped coming on with the AC. I actually use this function to cool the motor down if
I'm stuck in traffic. Hot or cold outside...

Not quite sure whats going on, as I saw the fan running on low when I lifted the hood, but then seemed to shut
off when I closed the hood... coincidence ??

Anyway, I guess the first test is get some juice to the motor. Where exactly do I run the jumper to on the motor? ... and I take
it that the motor is already grounded , so just a wire from the Battery hot to the motor?

I have always been good at wrenching, but just plain suck at electrical :) .. ..... thanks for guiding me through the basics :)

Turning the a/c on should automatically put the rad fan on HI.
As DFG mentioned. ck the pigtail to make sure it's not melted.
Make a jumper wire so you can test the fan directly from the battery. watch your fingers. don't try to pwr both hi and lo at the same time.
Now break out your meter and wiring diagram that's in the back of the Haynes/Chilton Manuals.
First ck voltage readings at the fan connector for low and hi speeds.
Then ck for voltage output from the CCRM.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
95 Mustang GT Cooling Fan Test

Are you saying the battery is dead and you need to jump start the car...?
Jumper cables are hooked up to negative and positive terminals on the battery.

As for the fan I have no clue. Hopefully someone knows and can help you

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
My first post ... and of course I have a problem :)

The Hi speed fan stopped coming on with the AC. I actually use this function to cool the motor down if
I'm stuck in traffic. Hot or cold outside...

Not quite sure whats going on, as I saw the fan running on low when I lifted the hood, but then seemed to shut
off when I closed the hood... coincidence ??

Anyway, I guess the first test is get some juice to the motor. Where exactly do I run the jumper to on the motor? ... and I take
it that the motor is already grounded , so just a wire from the Battery hot to the motor?

I have always been good at wrenching, but just plain suck at electrical :) .. ..... thanks for guiding me through the basics :)

When you pull codes on your car, one of the first things you'll hear is a series of relays clicking then you'll hear the low speed fan come on for a couple seconds followed by the hi speed fan for another couple seconds.
That test will ck the CCRM, wiring and both speeds of the fan.

Your Haynes/ Chilton manual can tell you how to pull codes with a paperclip or just use a OBD1 reader connected under the hood

OP
OP
tderrick

tderrick

Reaction score
Thanks ... that will be a good place to start to check the function of the fan itself. Then if all is well there, I'll start hunting
down why when the AC compressor is engaged there is no high speed fan - That would have to be a relay / switch of some kind.

grazie

When you pull codes on your car, one of the first things you'll hear is a series of relays clicking then you'll hear the low speed fan come on for a couple seconds followed by the hi speed fan for another couple seconds.
That test will ck the CCRM, wiring and both speeds of the fan.

Your Haynes/ Chilton manual can tell you how to pull codes with a paperclip or just use a OBD1 reader connected under the hood

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hook the fan up directly to 12v. It should spin at full speed. If it doesn't, I'd venture to say the fan motor itself is no good.

OP
OP
tderrick

tderrick

Reaction score
Hook the fan up directly to 12v. It should spin at full speed. If it doesn't, I'd venture to say the fan motor itself is no good.

I've heard this mentioned a couple of times, but I have no idea how to do this .... I just plain suck at anything electric..

so,

What type of jumper would I make up?
and
Where do I hook it up on the fan ?

I tell you what ... I can bolt on some heads, but when it comes to electrical troubleshooting, I just never learned.
The time is now... :)

please be patient. ... I'm not quite as dumb as I let on ..

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do the code test first. And while your doing that you may as well let it complete the entire diagnostic. You're haynes manual will tell you what to do and when to do it.
Complete the entire test KOEO and KOER.
Another easy thing to do is unplug the fan connector and look to see if it's melted or if anything is not normal looking. Look at the connector on the fan too.
I understand your a rookie on the electrical side of things, that's why we're starting simple and not having you touch random things with test wires connected to the battery.
Let us know what happens with the code test.

OP
OP
tderrick

tderrick

Reaction score
Well, I dug out my old OBD I reader that I bought years ago and never used. It was all corroded up on the contacts and the battery
compartment. I didn't even know the thing had batteries ! lol

I picked it up when a came across a good deal and thought it would be a good idea to have one. I tossed it in my tool box
and never looked at it again ...

I got it all cleaned up and the dang thing fired up... finally found the manual buried in one of my junk drawers and now I'm
good to go.

Will fire up the first KOEO test this weekend and we should be well on our way... I'm way behind on the maintenance on this
car, because it was semi - retired, all nice and covered in my garage, when the Polar Vortex killed my beater car.
So she's back in service - In the winter!!! crap..... mud and salt ...

Will update after the tests this weekend

Thanks guys :)

OP
OP
tderrick

tderrick

Reaction score
OK .. ran the OBD I reader. Fan cycled through the two speeds. Fan good.

I dropped one code - 564 = Electro Drive Fan Circuit Fault.

then 10 separator code

and the beloved 111 = Continuous - all good

So, It looks like we have the area in question. What would be the first bit to check?

grazie, for all the help guys. We have her back up in know time.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence - I'm not sure if the AC is cycling. I don't think so. So compressor is acting funny, also.

OP
OP
tderrick

tderrick

Reaction score
Wow... excuse the spelling in the above post... typing a little too quickly lol ,,, having a hard time getting the "edit post" gag to work

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The A/C system has a low pressure cutout switch so the compressor doesn't run when your low on freon.
Make sure the freon is full and the a/c comp is working correctly.

OP
OP
tderrick

tderrick

Reaction score
Will do... could the low Freon freeze ( no pun intended) that fan circuit? ... That makes sense, since the fan isn't coming on with the AC ... If the AC circuit
shutdown, it would take the fan with it ... I haven't tested to see if the fan comes on with pure temp, as I hate letting the motor get that hot. Ford has the fan come on way too late - imho

OK ... to my mechanic for a shot of gas after work today :)

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The temp gages in these cars are not known for they're accuracy.
To know for sure what the water temp is you need a real water temp gage ar at the very least a laser thermometer.

stingracer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue and came across this post. Did you ever figure out the issue?

JKady

Reaction score
The fans on these cars were notorious for burning up, thats why there was a recall to install a circuit breaker so that they didn't take out this upstream from them. Fan motors are very simple to test, hook a wire from positive to one wire and a negative on the other, if it spins fast, all good, if it won't spin, spins slow etc... it's no bueno. BE CAREFUL and used some stout wire, fans pull a lot of juice to get spinning and will burn up small wires and in turn burn you and obviously keep any and all parts of you out of the fan blades at all times.

stingracer

Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. I will give that a go. Could this issue trigger the 564 code could cause my AC compressor to not engage?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. I will give that a go. Could this issue trigger the 564 code could cause my AC compressor to not engage?

I doubt it.
A/c not engaging- Low freon, faulty low pressure sw, or bad relay in the CCRM.
If it out of freon then you might need to remove the low pres connector and install jumper to force the compressor on. The compressor needs to be on to accept freon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.