Fiberglass repair on track bike- what to use?

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Let me just say this project turned into a lot more than I realized. I see know what you guys meant about air getting in the fiberglass. There were a LOT of sections in both the tail and the lower that I realized were nothing more than big air pockets. A lot of them I found from sanding and all of a sudden, I'd have a hole.

Luckily the tail didn't have too many. It had one hole that I've filled and now just needs some kitty hair shoved in it, and one final skim layer of filler on a few areas, then a good sanding and primer.

Haven't had to mess much with the upper since my last update. Got a couple pinholes here and there that need to be filled and overall it just needs some sanding and possibly some light filler just to get it nice and smooth for paint.

The lower has turned into a nightmare. I started knocking out air bubbles, and pulling the seperated layers of fiberglass apart (a few of these bubbles had had oil seep into them and the fiberglass mat itself) and cutting out anything that wasn't firmly attached and bought some resin and mat and started filling everything back in. This piece is going to take quite a bit of work to get straight but it's doable and coming along.

I also mixed my paint up at work last week. Planning on doing a sort of tri-tone with it. Top half will be Ford's very own Tuxedo Black. Lower half is a white I mixed up myself, lot's of pearl and flake in it. Kinda hoping the white might help hide some of the potential flaws in the lower fairing. And separating the two, will be Ford's Envy Green. Kinda close to Kawi green plus it's got a good bit of flake in it too like the other colors on the bike. There will be a bit of white on the front and on the tail for number plates and it wont be quite as simple as it sounds but it should look sexy and flashy.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Small fiberglass roller like this goes a long way. .
th

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have the basic shape/form made, as long as the hole doesn't go all the way through you will be fine with fiberglass reinforced filler being used instead of just glass.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Small fiberglass roller like this goes a long way. .
th

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

Bingo, this is what you would call a "skin" roller, better for a lighter layer of glass. There are also bulk rollers, sometimes called "bubble busters" that you would use for a higher mil region.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online