First Mod

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree with making it clean and nice.
Keep the engine spotless and maybe reroute some wiring and vac lines. Or even a wire tuck.
Nice wheels and tires also make a great visual impact. And there's deals out there for used ones.
Exhaust is another semi easy mod.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Do K&N sell cold air intakes for the 98 v6? I looked and all i could find was air filters.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt they do. The best bet performance wise is just buying the drop in filter and removing the air silencer. I like exhaust as an easy mod, but just be careful and don't make it loud, or it will sound like crap.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, as I mentioned before, the gains will be identical, if not better than with the cold air. You can even drill some holes in the air box filter housing to allow some extra air to get there, but overall the gains will be minimal. On the V6 you have, you won't see gains without doing the split port swap I mentioned before, or trying to source a supercharger from a Supercoupe.

But, with some good routine maintenance you may have a seat of the pants gain, better throttle response, etc.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's a little cone looking rubber piece that sits in front of your filter.

It's funny, when these cars were made we were interested in not hearing them. My coyote has a tube directed into the car so you can hear it.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
It's a little cone looking rubber piece that sits in front of your filter.

It's funny, when these cars were made we were interested in not hearing them. My coyote has a tube directed into the car so you can hear it.

Stupid question. How do you get it off?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's quite complicated. You undo the bolt that holds the grommet holding the air box to the fire wall. You take both hands, reach into the fenderwell from under the hood, and pull. You make the fender give birth to the air silencer.

Now, you have accomplished the impossible.

But really, you reach in and pull. Easy as pie.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the filter box has a hole in it that the silencer fits into, kinda. so the box still covers the filter

neverenuff

Reaction score
Second the gear swap, it will change your power band significantly. New gears can be had for about the same price as a throttle body, plus installation.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will understand if you just go pop your hood and look at where your filter is.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bada bing. Bada boom.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm

fcar6.jpg

[video=youtube;_eTQlCN7_88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eTQlCN7_88[/video]

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
High pitched noise when on gas in third gear after removing air silencer. Is this normal or is my car about to break? :/

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Try and get a video of it, should be easier to diagnose. A high pitched noise can be a hundred different things.

I doubt it's due to removing the air silencer.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you could have a slight vacuum leak somewhere. That's easy to check.

But first, I would remove the air filter and make sure the box is clean, and the air intake tube is free and clear. I worked on a truck making a high pitched squealing before and it ended up being a leaf, stuck in the airbox that would vibrate enough to make a loud noise.

The vacuum check, do a smoke test. You, or someone you know, get a cheap cigar, light it. Remove the hose off the brake booster (the big circle thing in front of the driver side in the engine bay) and exhale smoke into that hose. Look for air escaping from the motor. It is normal for it to come out of the throttle body, however that should be about the only place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online